Ch.9

It's been a few years since I last saw the scientist. Last time was in that old shed by the mansion. I'm surprised that the building is still standing. There were plans on removing it, and build a new mansion in its place, for my dad. But that didn't happened. Not yet anyway.

I reached the lab, which was in town. Although obscured from the main areas of the town. I took a deep breath before entering. "(Y/N). I've been waiting. How you been?" E. Gadd asked, spinning in the chair. "I've been... okay. Could be better, could be worse" I answered. "Good to hear. I've received a strong paranormal signal coming from Evershade valley. And need an investigator. I thought you'd be perfect for the job" he continued. "Alright" I answered, quietly. "I'll take you there safely through the pixelshifter. And bring these with you" he continued, handing me an upgraded version of the poltergust. I'm a paranormal investigator, not a ghost buster. Nonetheless, I strapped it to my back. "We'll discuss the pay when you're finished. And I'll keep in contact with you, incase anything happens" he said, before pulling the lever of the pixelshifter, and I was sent to the valley.

The first place I was sent to, was the gloomy manner. It's a cozy little place. I wandered through the manner, sensing the paranormal activity in the air. I have already caught a few greenies with the poltergust 5000, even one golden. I got to the second floor, which was when I heard a laughter. I shone the rainbow flashlight, also know as dark light, against a wall. Making a door appear soon after. Going through, finding myself in a kitchen. I looked over to a tray hatch, hearing the laugh from that direction. I went over to it, inspecting the shaft, leading up one floor. I seated myself onto the wooden tray inside the hatch, being pulled up at an alarmingly fast rate. I shakily left the hatch, when I came to a stop on the second floor.

The new room is a dining hall. A boo, that I don't recognize, is casting illusions, making the table disappear. When it left, I shone the dark light where the table was, and vacuumed up the spirit orbs. Making the table appear again. The boo returned, the grin quickly changing into a confused look. I approached it from behind. "Are you-" I wasn't able to finish my question, as it, seemingly out of instinct, turned to bite me. I brought my right arm up, which I had covered in a metal plate. The loud clang ringing throughout the whole room. "Are you a friend of the king?" I asked, as the boo let go. It went transparent. I shone the dark light around the room, forcing the boo to appear. It struggled to keep itself invisible, until giving up. Breathing heavily from the exertion. "I'm not here to hurt you. I'm looking for King boo" I told the boo, as it slowly regained its energy. "Why?" he asked. "He's an old friend. I thought I might find him in a place like this" I answered, putting away the dark light. "Well he's not here" the boo answered. "You sound like you're forced into this" I stated. "No. I just don't think I should trust you. He did tell us to not let anyone know where he is" he started to leave the room. "Huh. I thought he would at least mention someone special to him" I said, catching the boos attention. "And what makes you think that?" he asked with a higher tone. "Because. I'm (Y/N)" I answered, unhooking the crown from my belt, holding it in front of me. "Oh.... I'm terribly sorry, I didn't know you'd be (Y/N). I could sense something from you. Did he mark you at some point? Must have been ages ago, as I can't barely sense it" he apologized. "Do you know where he is?" I asked, cutting him off before he could continue rambling. "I'm sorry, but no. He didn't tell any of us where he was going" the boo answered. "But I'll let him know you're in the valley if I see him" he added. "That alright. I'm here for work anyway. You don't happen to know where the dark moon piece is?" I asked. "That I don't think I should say" he answered. "Well... I could always say the mission was unsuccessful. I only accepted to travel this far... because I thought I'd see the king. And now I know he's here. But I need the money to live, and I'm only paid if I fix the dark moon" I said. I put the crown on my head, making my irises glow pink. The ghosts, that weren't boos, all gathered around me. "Bring me the dark moon piece" I commanded. I may have learned a thing or two while studying the crown. Specifically the gem inside it. And of course, the king himself. I sure wonder how he's managed to get this far without it.

After a minute or so, a long, white, ghost appeared. Holding the dark moon piece. It looked at me very skeptically. As if waiting for me to speak. "I only have one goal in mind, and I need the piece to continue. All I'm trying to do is find the king of boos, and the piece will let me proceed to new areas" I said. The ghost only crossed his arms. "I know what he's trying to do, and if you need more proof" I continued. I put my hand against my cheek, and focused. The crown sparked, and I carefully drew my hand back. Blue strings of the substance that the king rubbed on my cheek, flickered into existence, before I got too tired to keep it up. I panted, putting my hands on my knees. I drew up my right hand, holding it up to receive the moon piece. "The dark moon piece" I said, when the ghost hesitated for a while. Looking very unsure. Eventually, it very carefully handed it to me, and backed away a couple steps. I straightened my back. "You're very kind" I said, before leaving to get back to the bunker.