Ch.5

I ended up spending the night here. Hopefully I haven't worried my dad too much, even though he probably is worried sick. I got to sleep in the master bedroom, and have it as my room. "Good morning" I heard my new friend, Boolivia. She was asked to keep an eye on me. Although, not to be offensive, Boolivia is white. Presumably she is biologically male, but to keep the respect, I'll call her a she, as that was requested. "I hope you had a good rest" she said, drawing back the curtains to let the sunlight in. "It was fine. Could be better" I stretched my arms above me. She put a dress by the end of the bed. "The king has requested you to wear this tonight" she said, before leaving. Probably to sleep somewhere, as it is 10AM. I got up from the bed, and dressed myself in the clothes I had yesterday. Once that done, I got out of my room, and made my way downstairs to the basement. I had left my books there. It is also the warmest room in the mansion, believe it or not. Possibly because the king turns into a radiator when he's asleep.

I sat down by my usual spot in the hidden room. Leaning against the golden pillar. I took out my note book, and my book on poltergeist. It's not exactly school work, but I do have a couple more questions that need clarification. I got up, and sat down beside the king. I hesitantly tapped on him, asking myself if I should wake him up. But he did say that I could wake him for anything. After reassuring myself, I put my hand against him, feeling the heat radiating from the ghost. He stirred for a moment, before turning his head to me. Not sure if I should say "head" as it is really just his face moving. "Good morning" he said, quietly, with a light smile. "Its closer to noon" I answered. "It always feels like the start of a new day with you around" he stated, making me feel the butterflies in my stomach. "Since when did you get smooth?" I asked, jokingly. He chuckled for an answer. "Was there something you needed?" he asked. "Well, I have just one question for you. The rest I could ask Tam. To let you sleep" I answered. "Why is it that you're always so much warmer than the others? Is it because of your size?" I asked. He was silent for a short moment. "Uh-m partially" he answered, looking away from me. "Partially?" I asked. "Bigger things radiate more heat, right?" he answered, with a shaky voice. "Not always" I stated. I could practically see the beads of sweat on his forehead. "Are you okay?" I asked, leaning a bit forward. "Yeah, yeah, I-I'm fine!" he answered quickly. He faced me again, flashing a grin, showing off all of his sharp teeth. I sat there, unconvinced. "What is it that you're not telling me?" I asked, not breaking eye contact. He sighed, sinking down into the pillow. "Why do I even try?" he breathed. "I... I'm just happy to have you. Here that is" he answered. "Then why didn't you just say so?" I asked. "I. Don't know... I guess it would make it seem as if I'm..." he stopped before finishing the sentence. "Like you're- soft?" I asked, trying to finish the sentence. "No, that's not it. I'm nice to all my friends" he corrected, sinking deeper into the pillow. I looked over to the painting behind us, while the king tried to figure out what words are. My uncle is still trapped, and he's trying to tell me something through charades. Too bad I've never been good at this game. But once he started pointing at us, and making a heart with his hands, I started to connect what he wanted to say. The king couldn't possibly be. No, that'd be ridiculous. He's royalty, and I'm just... me. Not to mention that he's dead, and I'm living. "Maybe I can ask a different question. What is it that makes one into a boo upon death?" I asked, now that he's awake, I might as well. "Don't do anything you might regret, now" he said, raising from the pillow. "But... we're all victims of a short life. Accidents, murder... suicide" he answered. I got my notebook, and started to scribble down notes. "Go on" I urged him to continue. "Are there any specifications, or just short life?" I asked. "Not that I've taken note of. You know that Tam took his own life" he continued, I nodded for him to continue. "I don't know if you've met, but Kung suffered a fatal accident" he continued, floating to the center of the room. "I CALL MURDER" I heard someone scream in the distance. "He's still salty about it" the king continued, whisper screaming. "What happened to him?" I asked, looking up from my book. "Kung was a top martial artist. And what he's told me, is that they got a new student, who was supposed to go up against him, and they won. But Kung had to pay the ultimate price, as his skull was cracked in the duel" the king explained. "Oh... you don't know what happened to the student?" I asked, and he shook his head. "I WAS A BLACKBELT IN TAEKWONDO" I heard the scream again. Assuming that is Kung. "AND I CAN'T DO SH*T AS A BOO" he continued screaming. "Language, Kung" the king sighed. "So... an accidental murder. Got it" I said, the king nodded. We waited for a moment, and he was about to say something when we heard a scream. "Almost said that too soon" the king said. "Said what?" I asked. "I was about to say that he maybe didn't hear you. But he did" he answered. "How can he hear us?" I asked, squinting my eyes. "Don't ask me. He's like a radar for anyone who mentions his past, martial arts, or murder" he quieted down to a whisper. I waited for a moment. "And... what happened to you?" I asked. He hummed, not catching the question. "What did you die from?" I asked, putting my head in my hands, leaning forward. Until I was leaning on my elbows. "Well" he started. "I was murdered" he answered. "SO WAS I!" another scream. "SHUT THE HELL UP, KUNG" the king screamed back. Mental note of not making him angry, taken. "You were... asphyxiated" I said, he turned to face me. "Yes. When did you-" I cut him off. "You're tongue's blue. I should know, when I've been there myself" I answered. "(Y/N)..." his expressions changed to a pained one. "I know, I know. Just don't feel sorry for me now" I said, leaning back. The king leaned onto me, and I put my arms around him. "I should say that I wasn't almost murdered, it was... self-inflicted" I continued. "Now get up, I'm getting hungry" I said, patting his back. He let me go, and I went over to the door. "Don't do anything you might regret" he repeated. I left the room, and was surprised at how quickly the time had gone by. I looked out the window, seeing that the sun would soon set. And Tam, of course, is wandering the hallways.

------

I found myself walking around the hallways, bumping into my dad being scared by a boo, and running away. "Why do you keep scaring people?" I asked. "Isn't that what ghosts are supposed to do? Spook the living?" the boo turned to face me. "Then why don't you scare me?" I asked, crossing my arms. "You're our friend, no? We know you're not scared of us" he said. "And I don't think we've properly met. I'm Kung Boo" he said. So he's the one that was screaming. "It's nice to put a face to a name. But I promised Boolivia to see her in the art gallery. It was in the attic, right? Right before the balcony?" I asked. Kung nodded, and I left him to whatever he was doing. I made my way upstairs, finding Boomeo on the way, who followed me to the art gallery.

I stayed in the art gallery, chatting with the hopeless romanticist, after I helped Boolivia chose a few colors. I do find his reactions satisfying when I act like I don't get that he's trying to flirt with me. Even if he makes me uncomfortable at times, he's still fun to hang around. He's always so melodramatic. I should say it WAS fun, until I unexpectedly felt a broad tongue, like a water balloon, stroking the side of my face. I whipped my head, just in time to see the king leave the room. I cursed under my breath, out of confusion. "Did... Did he just lick me?" I asked, holding my cheek. "Another one lost to his majesty" Boomeo cried, only making me more confused. "Hm... what do you think (Y/N)?" Boolivia asked, clearly she didn't notice what happened. I went over to the easel she was behind, inspecting a beautiful painting of a landscape. "Oh wow" I muttered, forgetting about the king. "And I thought I was good at art" I put my hands on my hips, leaning back just a tad bit. She giggled. Stopping when she turned to look at my face. "Your cheek's blue" she said. I hummed questionably, poking at my cheek. I brought my hand down, inspecting the blue, sticky, substance. Grimacing. "The hell?" I asked quietly. "Oh honey" she sighed, presumably knowing what it is. "You know what this is, don't you?" I asked. "Of course I do, but I'm sure he wouldn't be too happy if I told you" she answered, giggling again. "It shouldn't be too hard to figure out" she turned back to her painting. Leaving me to this mystery. I left the room, and returned to my room.

I tried to put the dress, that I was given earlier, on as carefully as possible. Trying to not smear the blue spot on it. I've tried to remove it, but it just won't go away. I almost tried removing it with bleach, but decided against it. The dress reaching the floor is white, puffy from all the layers. Long, lace sleeves. And a red gem resting above my chest. It also has a high collar, tightly, but not too tightly, around my neck. And with the help of Booffant styling my hair, I feel like I belong in a different time period. I'm not too confident if it is fully correct, but I feel... Victorian. I wonder what the king has in store when he asked me to wear this. "You know, I'm not that comfortable in dresses" I told the stylist behind me. "But tonight, I'm a princess" I added. "I take it that you like it" he said, putting away the hair products. "I do" I said, twisting myself a few times to get a better look in the mirror. "Now don't keep him waiting for too long" he tapped my shoulder. I stepped out of the room, being greeted by Tam, holding a violin. "What is going on tonight? Why's everyone so fancy?" I asked, taking note of the bowtie. "You'll see" he said, holding his hand out. I placed my hand over it, being led around the mansion. We stopped for a moment outside a room, when I was offered a glass. "Got any alcohol-free options?" I asked. The boo handed me another glass, and I took it. I entered the room. The ballroom. I should have known. Tam continued to a corner, while I continued to be closer to the center. "You look lovely, tonight. As you always do" I heard the king from behind. "What's the meaning of this?" I asked, craning my head to face him "I heard it was someone's birthday today" he said, putting his hands on my shoulders. "Wait... really? What day is it?" I asked. "(the date of your birthday). I thought I'd treat you a little extra" he answered, gently spinning me, as the band started playing. "You really don't have to" I said. "Why wouldn't I? You deserve more than what's given to you" he answered. We continued talking throughout the dance. Which was mostly him leading me around, and trying to explain how to take each step. As I'm not the best dancer. The song came to an end, and I leaned against the poltergeist. "Why? Why do you do this to me?" I asked. "No one's ever treated me..." I couldn't find the words to finish my sentence. He lifted my head, making me look into the glowing pink eyes. "Because you're important to me" he said softly, gently licking my forehead. He better not make that blue too.