Part 18

"Sadie!" George bangs harder in the door, and I scramble to put my shirt on and get ahold of myself.

"I can tell him to go." John whispers, slipping his robe back on.

"No, I can handle it." I assure him. John's expression is that of a concerned dad, and I can tell he's reluctant to let George talk to me.

He eventually opens the door and George immediately barges in, rushing over and forcing me into a hug. I don't hug him back, and I push his body off of mine. He looks over at John who's still in his robe, then at me wearing John's shirt.

"Did he hurt you?" George asks, shooting daggers at John who places a loving hand on my shoulder.

I begin to laugh uncontrollably, unable to fathom how he has the audacity to accuse John of hurting me when he's the reason I'm torn apart.

"No, not at all. John's been taking care of me." I refuse to look into his eyes because I know they'll break me down.

"Oh... well, we need to talk." He says sternly as if he owns me. I don't like it at all.

"No!" I say very directly.

"What do you mean no?"

"What is there to talk about? You asked me to marry you and then you left me out in the dust all in the span of 24 hours. I don't want to hear whatever it is you have to say!" I assert.

"Sadie I-" he persists.

"She said she doesn't want to talk to ye, Harrison. Let it go." John cuts in.

"Stay out of this. It has nothing to do with you!" George barks.

"I'm afraid it does. Sadie's me friend and I'm going to protect her, so I'll say it again. Let it go." John gives George a warning, but he refuses to back down.

"So now yer all buddy buddy with me girl? She's mine, Lennon. Not yours!" George hisses, wagging his finger in John's face.

"Guys, please! Calm down! I don't belong to either of you! George, the damage is done. Please leave!"

"I know, love. If I could just explain I-"

"George, get the fuck out of me house." John intervenes again.

"John, stop." I push his puffed chest gently to make him back off of George, and it works for the time being.

"Sadie, please come back to the hotel and talk to me. I just want to talk. After I've said me peace I promise I'll leave you alone!" He cracks a slight smile and for the first time since he arrived our eyes meet. I can feel the sincerity of his words.

"Okay."

"Thank you, Sadie." He sighs.

"Sadie, ye don't have to do this" John whispers in my ear.

"I do. I need closure." I reply.

"Come with me, I'll drive us." George says, waving me to the door.

"No. I'll get a taxi." I reply firmly.

~~~~~~~~

My heart was in my stomach as I approached the elevator doors. I pushed the button and went up to the room that was supposed to be our home for this week. My how things have changed.

I knocked on the door, and George let me in. I breathed in the scent of the room, and it smelled just like George's aftershave. I wanted to cry.

"Start talking." I remain cold.

"Don't you want to sit down?" He asks.

"No." I reply, my short temper evident through my voice.