Part 40

I took striding steps down the hallway towards the elevator doors. My body was so numb from emotion that it almost felt like the ground was shaking beneath me.

The truth is, I thought I'd feel better once I talked to John. I thought I'd be able to move on and be happy, but the look on his face as I said my final goodbye will be etched into my brain forever like a bad tattoo.

It seemed to take an eternity for the elevator doors to peel open, but when they finally did I couldn't get out fast enough. All I wanted to do was go back into the safety of our hotel room and weep my guilt away.

Unfortunately that wasn't an option, as I could already hear voices coming from the room I shared with George. I curiously placed my ear on the wood to see if I could decipher what was going on. I couldn't, so I quickly turned the knob and went inside to investigate.

As soon as I walked in I put the pieces together. The noises were coming from none other than baby Dhani, who was babbling away in his little swing.

"Oh my goodness!" I squealed, dropping my bag to the floor so I could go scoop up the tiny boy into my arms. He immediately buried his face into my shoulder and I began to cry quiet tears of joy. It was a sweet reunion, and exactly what I needed to halt the emotional rollercoaster of negative thoughts going on in my head.

"Ah I see you two have gotten reacquainted." George beamed as he came into the room.

"Oh George! Thank you!" I wept and held the boy tightly, though he was wiggly in my grip and anxiously to be released. I eventually gave in and set him back into his swing, then ran to George to pull him into a grateful hug.

"I thought you might want to see him, it's been a little while."

"It's the most perfect surprise in the world!"

I backed away from him to go sit and play with Dhani. George sat at the edge of the bed admiring the both of us.

"You've always been so lovely to him. It's as if he was your own son."

I smiled at the compliment.

"He's always made it easy." I grinned as I shook a rattle near his face, making him giggle. He was still very young, only about six months old. Though he hadn't seen me in a while, I was thankful that he still seemed to act comfortable around me.

"I think being a mother suits you."

"Well, I sure hope it does." I laughed and placed my hand on my belly as I continued to entertain Dhani. George walked over to the kitchenette and began rummaging through the fridge.

"So where were you?" He asked.

"I'm sorry?"

"When we came into the room I thought you'd be here. Where did you go?"

"Oh..." I hesitated for a second. "I um, I needed some fresh air. I took a walk."

"Nice. Where'd you walk to?"

"Just around the hotel."

"Huh... I didn't see you outside.Which way did you go?"

"I Uh...did I say I went for a walk? I meant to say I was going to go for a walk. I just went downstairs to get some extra towels."

George looked at me perplexed, his thick brows creasing ever so slightly.

"You're lying." He giggled, his tone suggesting that he was more amused than angry.

"What? How-"

"Sadie, it's okay. Just tell me what you were doing."

"O-Okay." My voice faltered off.