Cruelty

Edited: May 25, 2021.

"Father, how were you able to dance in the freezing weather when your body's so frail?" You curiously tilted your head while sitting on his lap.

"My child, I can do that because I know a certain breathing technique." Your father said while stroking your long black hair.

"A breathing technique?" You curiously asked.

"A way to breathe so that you won't exhaust yourself, no matter how much you move. If you master the correct way to breathe, you'll be able to dance forever too, the cold won't bother you too." He stared into the distance, looking at the peaceful sky before turning his attention to you.

"Wow...a way to breath..." You murmur in awe, looking down to view your small hands. Opening and closing it with a smile plastered on your lips. "Father, do I have to learn it in your way?"

He paused and think for an answer, before speaking, "No, people have their techniques, potential, and talent. If you force your ideal on others, their true talent could be shattered."

You flutter your eyes at him, not fully understanding the meaning of his words. He softly smiles with gentle eyes, before speaking one last note, that you'll never forget.

​​​​​​"Find your breath, (Y/n)."

***

"Tanjiro?"

A young boy with reddish hair and crimson eyes turned toward the voice while carrying a basket full of charcoal on his back.

"Your face is covered in soot, come over here."

The woman grabs her handkerchief, crouching down on her knees, and proceeded to wipe her son's face. 

"It's dangerous with all this snow. You don't have to go, you know." She said with a worried tone while wiping his face.

The season of winter arrives, an icy serenade, a coolness to bring out the warmth within, fascinating yet dangerous.

"Well, I want everyone to eat their fill on New Year's, so that's why I'm gonna sell as much charcoal as I can." With a warm smile, he replied, melting the cold weather.

She smiles back and mutters a soft thank you as she finishes cleaning his face.

"Big Bro!" 

A boy called, heading towards them with his sister trailing behind him.

"Are you going to the town today?" The child asked with a big smile on his face.

The girl beside him blurted with a frown, "I'm going with you!"

Their mother stood up, "Oh no, you're not. You can't walk fast like Tanjiro." She scolded.

"Mom!"

"You may not." She firmly said, "Since he can't use the cart today, he won't be able to give you a ride when you get tired." She added. This causes them to pout and frown, clearly sad that they weren't able to come with their big brother.

The little boy hugs Tanjiro, while the girl whined to him that, but to no avail, Tanjiro insisted that he can't make them go with him, but promised them something in return, which lightens their mood.

"Takeo, Will you chop as much as wood as you can?" Tanjiro asked, after seeing his brother approach them.

"Sure I'll do it but..." Takeo looked to the side, his eyebrows scrunched, "I was hoping we could do it together." He pouts.