Chapter 4: Traitor!

Chapter 4: traitor!

Keep running, don't look back! Not until you're into the woods, far enough away from the castle. Rian keeps running, his feet feel like they can fall off any minute, but there is no time to worry about that. He just witnessed the most horrendous thing in his life. Mira, his girlfriend has been drained of her essence by the skeksis. The lords they are supposed to serve, to worship. Not for Rian, not anymore. He will never be able to unsee what has happened, not for himself, neither when dreamfasting. For now he also can't forget as he is on his way to Stone-in-the-Wood to show Maudra Fara what the skeksis have done.

After what seems like hours of running he slows down. Never once did Rian look back, he knew he had to keep going, to trust his head in finding the way home. He stops to catch his breath when he sees a Spriton couple with a childling and a broken carriage. He approaches them slowly "H-here.. Let me help" Rian says as he helps the couple change the broken wheel. He hears they're heading to Sami Thicket.. that must be a hard journey with a childling, Rian thinks to himself. Wanting to make their journey a bit easier, he grabs the couples' bags and puts them back in their carriage. While packing he hears the couple whisper, but can't quite make out what it's about. "He's a castle guard" the female whispers. "He could be the one.. What's his name?" "He can't be! He came to our aid!" The Spriton male whispers back to his wife. "That's it! Rian!" By the sound of his name Rian looks at the couple, a bit confused. Has he met them before? Are they friends of his father? That's when the lady speaks out loud, about Mira. He learns about the lies that have already been spreading through Thra, that hé killed her. "But the Skeksis killed Mira!" Rian yells. The couple panicks and Rian takes off, he hears them yell how he is a liar, a murderer, a traitor.

It's only a short distance till Stone-In-The wood, till he can show Maudra Fara the truth. His pace quickens. Not because of the Maudra, but Ten. She will believe and trust him, she won't call him a liar, a traitor. The thought of finally being reunited again with Ten warms his heart and brings tears to his eyes. He missed her, still misses her. She always made him feel worthy, like a hero. But now, Rian needs her.

Finally, after what seems like forever he sees Ten's house. The first sister is already setting high in the sky, and stars appear one by one. If the lies the Skeksis have spread already reached Stone-In-The-Wood it might be better he arrived here at night. He walks around Ten's house, wanting to surprise her but sees her sitting next to a handsome Spriton boy by a campfire. "Ten.." Rian says softly, and  the female Stonewood looks in his direction.

To be continued..