Days 3 - 5

You had to take Matt to the hospital multiple times the next few days. He wasn't getting better.

If anything, he was getting much worse.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Jones, but there isn't much we can do to help him. At this point, there is a very high chance he could have alzheimer", the doctor told you.

You couldn't even control your tears, let alone your anger. You were upset, but you tried to refrain from bursting out. The thought of Matthieu dying without a single memory of his family devastated you. But you knew it must be even harder for him.

He was trying.

He was trying to remember his friends, his family, his entire life. You wondered if he still remembered Al and how close they were. Not being real brothers, you didn't exactly expect him to remember everything. 

It was finally the new year, January 1st, and you spent it with your brother-in-law in a hospital bed, hooked up to multiple IVs. The beeping from the monitors made your hear skip beats every so often. The sound of an irregular beat from Matt caused you to slightly hyperventilate. 

You were worried. You were scared. You were sorry.

When Matt would wake up, he'd look over at you and smile. He'd usually say something like 'Don't look so sad', or 'Smile, princess'.

As you sat in the visitor's chair near his bed, you would have every last memory seep through your mind like forgotten tap water. Every drop aching your heart.

When you felt Matt move, you waited to see if he'd wake up again. When he did, he looked over at you for a moment and then back at the ceiling. The room fell silent as you awaited his repeated lines.

"You know what I'll really miss..."? He started.

This caught you off guard, and you didn't know how to respond. You kept your eye on him, just to make sure he would finish his sentence.

"...I think I'll miss seeing you smile, __________. The way your lips curl into a grin whenever you look at a picture of Al. Or, maybe, the way you look at AJ, and how much he looks like his father...", Matthieu finished with a small grin.

You listened as a tear streamed quietly down the side of his face. He was inclined on the bed, so the small droplet of sat water went from the corner of his left eye to his ear.

You didn't say anything to stop him from thinking about his death. You both knew it was coming.

Only, he could feel it.

As much as you wanted to make up some bullshit excuse for him, you weren't able to. You couldn't lie to him. You were happy enough to know that the last people he remembers were you, AJ, and Al.

He remembered his family. 

"....I'll be right back, alright?" you stated, trying not to cry in front of him. You could feel the tears coming, and you needed to get out before you broke down completely.

You stood up and gave him a long, thoughtful, gentle kiss on the cheek.You smiled at him for the last time, your voice shaky when you said,

"I love you, Matt".

You grabbed your things and slowly started to walk out, praying to God you didn't hear the monitor go off while you were leaving. You closed the door behind you.

And, as if on cue, the long buzzing sound from the heart detector came alive. You heard the noise from outside the room, and you slid down the door on your back and hugged your knees.

You cried. 

And you didn't care how loud you were.