1||

The morning sky showed no promise of the sun beaming down upon the day and I wasn't really complaining. Cloudy, crisp air is what I most enjoyed about the fall time in my little town. Another reason would be for the fact Hockey season was about to start up again. Always the best time of year and really the only time I look forward to. Camdyn and I were just walking out of the hockey rink from a hard two-hour practice. When he mentioned something about try-out's tomorrow. I must have missed majority of the conversation due to him exclaiming, "Hello? Earth to Greyson!"

I brought my attention back to him, giving Camdyn a slight nod before reassuring him "Yeah, sorry. My minds a little scrambled at the moment..."

Which it was especially with everything that happened over fall break recently with family, personal issues, and most of all Penelope. She has been my best friend since the third grade all over sharing apple slices at lunch time. Camdyn came later in middle school when he was the new student and was kind of awkward. All three of us have been inseparable ever since! Yet, Penelope has been distant due to her father leaving her family and on top of that her boyfriend cheating on her. She's been torn up and really, I can't blame her. Then Camdyn started to talk again, "Well, as I was saying before. Do you think we're ready for tryouts tomorrow?"

"Hell yeah! We've been practicing nonstop, at least four times a week. We'll kill the competition, trust me!" I mentioned as I tossed my duffle bag in the bed of my truck letting out a sigh as I checked my phone.

Camdyn did the same as he gave me an odd glance, "Agreed! Plus, she will be okay Greyson. Penny is pretty good at handling herself, especially with shit like this."

He made his way to the passenger side as I stood there still pondering in my own thoughts. Maybe he was right, Penny knows how to handle herself. She doesn't need our help, to be honest she really never needed our help with anything. I eventually made my way to the driver side pulling myself up in the truck letting out a small sigh before buckling up and driving off. Camdyn lived about an hour away from the rink, but only about thirty from me and the school. Yet, I didn't mind the drive gave me a chance to think and to get away from my crazy family. That was until I found myself parked in front of Penelope's house. Was I wrong for worrying about her? My eyes slowly glanced up seeing her sitting on her bay window probably sketching or reading her favorite book To kill a Mockingbird. Every inch of me wanted to knock on the door, just ask how she was doing, but I knew that wasn't the best idea. That was until she caught glance of my truck which made me sink down in the driver's seat. Before I knew it, she was tapping on my window giving me a small smile. I rolled down the window, "Hey?"

Penny gave me a small laugh, "Hey stranger."

"I can explain." She raised her eyebrows slightly crossing her arms, "I just dropped off Camdyn down the road and was just worried...about you."

Her lip started to slightly curl up as she said, "Well, I appreciate the concern, but I'm okay."

"Are you sure? A lot has happened in the past two weeks and- "

Penny's hand went up slightly which caused me to stop mid-sentence, "Greyson...Really, I'm okay. Yes, things have been rough lately. I'm still processing everything that happened, but it's going to take time. I need space."

I respected why she needed the space, but she has always been there for us and I wanted to be there for her. Just this one time. I gave her a small nod as Penny gave me a gentle and warm smile, "Good. I'll see you at school tomorrow?"

"Yes."

"Awesome!" She placed her hand on my hand before pushing off and walked away. I gave her a small little wave before peeling away from the curb to head home. You could say this town is your basic suburb's. With their well-cut lawns, painted houses, and accompanying gardens basically built along the house. They were all cookie-cutter and just basic. My neighborhood was far from basic though. While everyone else's rested down in the hills, mine was built within the hills. A whole new community that people thought of as the wealthy part of town. Where the other houses sit close together in Penny and Camdyn's neighborhoods. Our houses sit a little farther in distance due to the property being at least an acre or two in length. Gates built all around the community which made the labeling of wealth worse. I try not to say or draw attention on where my house is located, especially since Dustin lives somewhere in the same area. I turned my truck into the lengthy driveway as the house stood tall in the distance. My little sister, Xena, was outside with her isle probably painting something bizarre like normal. Then I could see my mom organizing some boxes in the garage with my younger sister, Aria. Which led me to believe my dad was working another late night, again. He always worked til eleven thirty or even midnight some days. Which means we never really get to see him. Only time we do see him is when he is off one day out of the week. Hasn't been like that for the past month though and I can tell its effecting mom as well. Trying to take care of three kids can be a handful, but I've tried to step up and help her with Xena & Aria as needed. Yet with hockey starting up, I haven't really been around either.