Chapter 53

On the elevator upstairs, Xia Wei's heart rose up into her throat alongside the numbers. Jiang Zhi Zhou took Man Man and glanced sidelong at her. "Relax. You look like you've been summoned to the principal's office."

  "...ahem." Xia Wei cleared her throat. "I'm surprised your parents live in such a normal-looking neighbourhood. I thought it would be more like a mansion."

  "My dad's very independent and a bit of a maverick. All my other uncles and aunts live in the Jiang family mansion."

  "Ah..." Xia Wei liked the thought. If his father hadn't had such an independent personality, then when she and Jiang Zhi Zhou got married they too, would have had to live in the Jiang family mansion. It was a bit terrifying to think about. "Does Man Man live there too?"

  "Yeah," Jiang Man Man nodded. "It's no fun. The house is real big, Man Man is afraid of sleeping alone."

  Xia Wei stroked her fluffy hair in silent comfort.

  "Here we are." When the elevator came to a halt, Jiang Zhi Zhou led Man Man out. Xia Wei, however, lingered in the elevator. Jiang Zhi Zhou looked back at her and asked with a smile, "Would you like me to carry you?"

  Xia Wei: "..."

  Upon following them out, Xia Wei took a deep breath. Don't be afraid, it's not like you haven't met his parents already. She's a big girl! What hasn't she seen?

  While she was psyching herself up, she heard Jiang Zhi Zhou ring the doorbell. The door opened to reveal his mother, and when Jiang Man Man saw her, she greeted her sweetly. "Third grandma!"

  "Hello, Man Man darling." Mother Jiang hugged Man Man before greeting Jiang Zhi Zhou and Xia Wei. "Come on in."

  After changing shoes on the porch, Jiang Zhi Zhou pulled Xia Wei inside. Father Jiang was sitting in the living room. Smiling, Xia Wei greeted them. "Uncle, aunt, I hope you're well."

  "Xia Wei, glad you made it." Father Jiang stood up to greet her. "Why don't you keep Man Man company for a little? Zhi Zhou will be giving me a hand in the kitchen."

  Xia Wei blinked quickly. Not for nothing was this man Jiang Zhi Zhou's father. Even a chef like Jiang Zhi Zhou was only able to help out in the kitchen. Jiang Zhi Zhou followed Father Jiang into the kitchen, while Mother Jiang stayed outside. Though she still felt a little nervous, Man Man's presence diffused the awkwardness somewhat.

  "Little aunt, your nails are so beautiful! Man Man also wants painted flowers." Jiang Man Man took Xia Wei's hand and studied her fingernails. Xia Wei told her, "Man Man's nails are still too small to be painted. But when you grow up, little aunt will help you paint flowers on them."

  "Hurray~"

  Xia Wei smiled, then suddenly felt uneasy. Why on earth had she followed blindly after Man Man and claimed to be an aunt?! Jiang Zhi Zhou's mother was sitting right there!

  Although embarrassment sat heavy on her heart, Jiang Zhi Zhou's mother fortunately said nothing. Instead, she simply brought out some toys and candy for Man Man.

  In the kitchen, cutting vegetables, Father Jiang inquired of his son, "How are you and Xia Wei?"

  Jiang Zhi Zhou replied, "We're doing very well. Why do you ask?"

  "I was afraid that your mother and aunt scared her off last time." He looked back at Jiang Zhi Zhou. "Don't take what your mother said to heart. Those weren't originally her thoughts, but influenced by your aunt."