Epilogue 3 - A Common Illness in the Middle-Aged

Jiang Zhi Zhou and Xia Wei's wedding was held as scheduled in April. Afterward, the two headed to a country known for its beaches for their honeymoon. April that year swung from warm to cold, and as a result of beach waves every day, Xia Wei became ill upon returning home.

  "When we were abroad, I wanted to find you a doctor. You said you'd be fine in a couple days. Feeling fine right now?" Jiang Zhi Zhou looked down at her condescendingly as he handed her cold medicine. "Go see a doctor this afternoon."

  "Ahem." Xia Wei had been coughing more and more these last few days. She, too, felt like a doctor's visit was in order. "I know, you don't have to rub it in."

  "Rub it in? If you'd seen a doctor early and nipped it in the bud, would your cold be this serious now?"

  "All colds get worse before they get better!"

  "Are you afraid of doctors?" Jiang Zhi Zhou faintly remembered that a long time ago, when she had been scratched by a rogue cat, something similar had happened.

  "I'm not afraid! I'll go to the doctors after dinner! You go to work!" Xia Wei downed her medicine and pushed Jiang Zhi Zhou outside. Still not at at ease, he turned back to look at her. "I'd better take you over to the clinic myself."

  "...Absolutely not. There's a clinic right next door, I can go by myself!" She was an adult now! Just for a cold, did her "parents" need to accompany her?!

  "Fine. But if I get back this afternoon and find that you haven't gone yet, I'll take you there personally," her husband warned.

  "Yes, yes, goodbye, be careful on the road."

  Jiang Zhi Zhou: "..."

  After Jiang Zhi Zhou left, Xia Wei took a short nap before changing out of her pajamas. The clinic wasn't far from their new home, a mere ten minute walk. Perhaps due to a virus going around at this time of the year, there were plenty of patients in the clinic.

  She waited for a while before getting into the doctor's office, and was told to sit down. "Where do you feel uncomfortable?"

  "Cough cough. My throat is inflamed, and some phlegm."

  "Open your mouth, let me take a look." Having peered into her throat, the doctor had her cough twice while they listened.

  "Cough cough." Xia Wei cooperated.

  "Lots of phlegm," the doctor announced, writing out a prescription. "This is no longer just a regular cold, but bronchitis. Let's do an aerosol treatment."

  "What is an aerosol treatment?"

  "Just put a tube in your mouth, and the medicine will be sucked in as you breathe. It's got an excellent effect, have you never done it before?"

  "No..." It sounded a little scary. "Can we not?"

  "Let's first have you take some medicine. We can see how you respond to that before deciding on further steps."

  "Sounds good."

  "Be careful not to eat certain foods. Marinated food, spicy food, and hot pot should be avoided. Don't eat sweets, either."

  "Oh..." Why don't you just list the things that I can still eat, doctor?

  After paying and picking up her medicine, Xia Wei went home and looked up 'aerosol treatment' on her phone. The internet told her that it didn't feel like much, but... it wasn't like it didn't feel like anything at all! She chewed on her lip and checked for bronchitis.