Onward

Luigi stepped out from behind the rock and approached the presumed to be rapscallions.
"Hey, I'm just traveling through and wondering, which way to bowsers kingdom?" I faced palmed at the innocent comment, but it could be just dumb enough to work. The turtle looking mutants then proceeded to stare at him, boggled. As I peered over the rock I began to tense, I wasn't going to let them hurt him. I watched carefully, every breath, every movement, and every pulse. The fear was eating at my insides little by little until they finally spoke, "thissss wayyyeee."

They pointed north and I exhaled a sigh of relief. Their voices were forced and unnatural, like forcing a dog to speak. Luigi motioned me out from behind my hiding spot and we thanked them as we continued our walk. "At least they were nice." Luigi said breaking the silence. I nodded and grabbed his hand, 'I'm just glad you're safe.' It took him a minute to understand, but the umpire like safe gesture made it easier for him to catch on. He scratched his neck embarrassed, "that's not what's important. I'd rather be someone's decoy than see them get hurt." He spoke genuinely and it was sad. I shook my head, I can't let him think that way, he's not just a decoy. Do people really treat him like this? Did daisy or Mario tell him this? Slightly infuriated I shook my head again and clung to his hand.

I want him to know how important he is. No one is just a decoy. He looked at me appalled for a moment before he cracked a sad, gentle smile. "(Y/n)-" he spoke softly, "you're so good to me." He placed his hand on top of my head and pulled me in for a hug and I felt a few tears hit my back. His emotions caught onto me and I soon began crying a little too. I cared so much for him, how could anyone treat him so horribly?

When he released me from the hug he looked at me and gave me a sniffled laugh, "Don't cry, I don't want you crying over me." I looked at him, how could I not? You're treated so horribly? I shook my head and stared at him with tears streaming. He wiped a couple tears off my face with his thumb, "Dont cry (y/n)." His voice was choked by more tears. I nodded gently, I didn't want him crying anymore than he was and I knew we really needed to get going. If there was any point in life that I wanted to say something, it was right now. I wanted to comfort him and make it all better. We finally began walking forward, but I didn't let go of his arm. It was comforting, and reminded me he was safe. As childish as I felt for doing it, I refused to let go and he never tried to shake me off or seemed uncomfortable.

Night time rolled around pretty soon and we needed rest. "How bout we stay under that tree so we're safe from rain?" He asked me like I knew how to survive in the outdoors. Of course I'd been camping but never hiked to an evil turtle, dragon things castle with not tent. I just nodded along and helped set up camp for the night. We had a small campfire just in case so all the dead grass surrounding us wouldn't catch on fire. We unpacked BEANS™ and cooked them over the fire, we packed BEANS™ (I'm sorry) because they were light but filling. I'm sure I'd get sick of them by tomorrow. When I tried to go to bed I couldn't, I wasn't tired anymore. I was recollecting my thoughts on everything that had napped today and felt extremely embarrassed for crying in front of luigi. I was embarrassed over something so small. I looked over at luigi and saw he was fast asleep, he looked so cute and peaceful, I smiled. The desire to say anything became so intense around him, I wanted to talk to him so badly. The thought of never being able to say anything to him made a couple hot tears stream down my face. I was crying over him again...

Eventually the sun woke me,  as I laid unaware I had fallen asleep. "Oh so you're finally awake." I looked over at luigi who was already 10 steps ahead of me with everything packed and already making breakfast. I tried to ask why he didn't wake me up but he didn't get what I was "saying" and I ended up more confused than he was... somehow. He made me breakfast and handed me some, fruits and beans... yay... he was taking very good care of my out here and, well I do like it, but I do want to take care of him too. The question is how?

When we finished breakfast we started heading out in the direction of the castle. Surprisingly the land around us was empty, Luigi said there was almost always a group of bowsers goons hanging around. It was dead silent. I mean he must have known we would come to rescue everyone. Maybe he thought we couldn't do it? I shook the thought off and continued to think of ways I could help luigi when we heard a distant scream. "Uhm that sounding like a woman. We should go help her!" I nodded determined. When we got to the place where the screams were coming from we saw a...Wizard? Maybe? Uhm some goombas cornering a a tall blonde woman. Luigi began to run towards the enemies and  I followed suit. "What's going on here?" Luigi exclaimed and I tried to look menacing. "She owes bowser money and we've come to collect it." The wizard thing spoke.
"Liars!" The woman was more furious than afraid, "i don't owe him anything!"
"Then we'll take what's most precious to you," he smiled, "your soul."
"Kamek , I can't let you do that to an innocent woman." Luigi followed his statement by punching kamek. Because kamek was so utterly small he fell over and became unconscious, the goombas ran away in horror.

"Are you okay?" Luigi asked the woman. "Yeah I'm fine, I could have handled that myself you know." She seemed snappy. Luigi apologized promptly and she walked off without a thank you. I gave a thumbs down in her direction and rolled my eyes, making Luigi laugh. "She sure was interesting." I nodded. Luigi picked kamek up and we began walking again. I pointed at kamek I'm confusion, "I'm bringing him with us so we can get to bowsers castle faster." Luigi seemed very serious and determined to get there so I nodded in acceptance and continued walking.