6 | c o n f e s s i o n o n e

shivers crawled down max's bare back as the exposed skin made contact with the blue lockers that laced along the school corridors. her feet felt like they were on fire due to her high heeled shoes constantly rubbing against her heels and the edges of her toes with every step she desires in taking. her face was numb, either from the heavy amount of makeup maxine's mom slapped on her face before she got here or the amount of tears that were flowing rapidly from her tearducts and burning against her pale cheeks.

she heard nothing but the sounds of her own sobbing and the faint background music of the students having a blast at prom in the grand hall. she should be out there - enjoying the moment as long as it lasts, but she just had the wrong company to spend it with. max realized her relationship with lucas was probably turned to dust, sucked up a vacuum and dumped in the furthest corners of the earth, never to be found or put back together again - but it's not like she won't try.

max heard a massive outburst of sound boom into the hallway and then it silenced back down, someone had left the prom hall, but was probably too drunk - on alcohol that some punks dragged in with them - to find out which way was the correct exit. but the steps that the drunkard took were too quick and accurate to be actually mistaken for a stumbling alcoholic - max knew this from past experience..

"hey, are you okay?" max heard a voice call, a soft monotone tone sobered up her thoughts and suddenly she felt like she could speak clearly.

"yeah, i'm fine. go back to the hall." she lied, but for her own good. max didn't want to be the cause of someone's night ruined just because a sobbing girl couldn't get the date she wanted to take her to prom. she didn't look up at the voice, instead doing the opposite and hiding her face even further into the crook of her crossed elbows. "just.. leave me alone, please."

there was a short moment of silence before the sounds of squeaky leather shoes rubbing against the solid flooring of the school echoed throughout the hallways, and a muffled grunt from throwing themselves down onto the floor rather too quickly and sat against the lockers just like max did. the shoulder of this person pressed up against max's, and she tensed up, her own shoulders caving into her chest.

more silent seconds past and max started to slowly move her head up right, boiling hot tears still pouring down her face like waterfalls crashing from her eyes. she look to the person next to her - who moved position, without max noticing, so their head was resting on her shoulder.

it was mike goddamn wheeler.

"get off, mike."

"stop crying like a baby, then i might consider moving." mike softly replied, like he was on the very close edge of falling asleep.

"ah, fuck off." max laughed, wiping her tears away, careful not to smudge any of the makeup her mother slapped in her face only hours ago. she was laughing at the irony of herself laughing and crying about the same boy that was right next to her. "i'm not crying."

"yeah, and i'm going to start my own election campaign to become the next president of these united states." mike replied.

"specific much?"

"yeah," mike chuckled, "you know you love it."

the cheeks of max's face slightly turned to the soft colour of flamingo feathers as a reaction of mike said, she didn't know how to handle this sudden reaction happening to her, so she turned her face away from mike, not like he wasn't looking at her in the first place.

wheeler's chuckles sent vibrations from his body to max's because his voice had grown to be that low and husky when he wasn't trying to put on a fake laugh. max adored that feeling, it made her feel good, in a sort of, 'oh i made him laugh, that's good' feeling.