- four -

- July 29th, 1970 -

Roger's POV

It had been two years since I realised my feelings for Brian and somehow I hadn't let the secret slip yet. I thought it would only be a temporary thing and that I'd forget that I'd ever thought of him in that way in no time - but I proved myself wrong; here I was two years later, still crushing on him like a school girl. The feeling seemed to increase on a daily basis and by now, it was beginning to feel unbearable.

Brian's and Tim's relationship was starting to get a little rocky as well. I would've never said it was stable, but still it seemed to be going worse than usual. It wasn't irregular that I'd get a call from Brian, asking to stay over for a night or two as they'd keep having argument after argument. I didn't understand how the relationship was still going really.. With all the temporary break-ups and the unusual atmosphere that surrounded them when they were together, it just didn't seem right. I wanted them to break up for real, and not get back together - more for Brian's sake than for mine because if they didn't, Tim would continue to hurt him. I imagined it would be more than just emotional hurt that he gave Brian because he wasn't the most gentle, calm man and I often saw Brian with cuts and bruises from where he 'fell over'. That could've been true, but he wasn't clumsy and I just didn't believe his awful lies.

I wasn't surprised when I heard the phone ring again, but I couldn't be asked to drag myself out of bed to pick it up, so I just listened to the familiar voice on the answering machine that followed the loud beep.

"Hey, Rog. It's Brian. Tim's left... Again. He's left me and- and the band too. Well, I say he's left me, it's more like he's kicking me out of the house. I'm really sorry bud, but I need a place to stay. Would you do the favour? Ring me back when you get this, thanks."

He hung up.

His voice sounded so drained when he was talking. It was to be expected, but still, he never sounded this upset about it before. It's like he really believed Tim was gone for good this time. Saying that, he'd never officially left the band before. Maybe he wasn't coming back. I really felt for Brian. I needed to call him back right now.

I rubbed my face and climbed out from under the covers of my bed, trudging sleepily over to the door which I had left ajar the night before.

With Brian calling me more frequently now, I slept with my bedroom door open so I could hear what he had to say when he rang in the night or in the morning. I needed to be there for him when he needed me.

I reached the phone, which was just outside my bedroom door on a tall, slender table, and dialled his number. It wasn't long before he picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hey Bri"

"Oh hey Rog.."

"You can stay over anytime, you know you don't need to ask. Come over right now if you need to."

"I know, it's just I feel like I need to check with you first. I don't want to be getting on your nerves. "

"Don't be silly, you know I enjoy your company. Come over whenever you want and we can talk about what happened.. If you want to that is"

"Yeah. I'll head over now"

"Sure, see you soon"

I hung up the phone and walked back into my bedroom, where I picked out a pair of black trousers and a floral button-up shirt. I quickly got dressed before making my way over to the kitchen counter to make Brian and myself a mug of coffee each.

I set down the mugs and started to boil the kettle on the stove when I was interrupted by a relatively quiet knock on the door.

I hurried over and unlocked it, opening it see Brian with a tear-stained face, a large dark bruise around his left eye and a small, bruised cut on his right cheek bone.