A Grumpy King and a Messy Princess

King Thranduil woke up and began his morning routine as if it was just another normal day. Standing up, the King washed his face, brushed his hair and dressed himself. Galion walked inside the room and gave him his crown, that he set aside for later. The man gave him a quick summary of the day they had ahead, and then, they both exited his rooms, to go have breakfast.

The blonde had thought it all to be a nightmare, but when he entered the room where he would eat in, he groaned. Mäetharanel already sat in a tall chair, her plate still empty. Unlike the previous day, she was now dressed accordingly to her station, with a brown dress that had green details. Her hair was tied in a high bun, with two strands framing her face. Her posture, trained for many years, was impeccable. Her eyes turned to face him and he groaned. He should have slept in.

"My King", she stood up and curtisied, respectfully, "I", she sat back down when he took his place at the end of the table, and began speaking, "I owe you an apology", his eyebrow raised and he contained a huff, "Coming into your home like that was not correct", his other eyebrow raised, "However, your behaviour was what made mine."

"You were doing so well", muttered the King, "I maintain my words: You have nothing to-", her defiant gaze met his.

"Understand that I am not here to attend to you; I could not care less how you have been performing your duties", the tea in front of her had stopped fuming two minutes ago, "Your relation with other kingdoms does not concern me. Your meetings are irrelevant", the bread in front of him was surely hardening, but the wine was surely fantastic, still, "I do not wish to consume you, I do not care about the fact that others have reached out to you about what has happened", finally, she grabbed the cup in front of her and took a sip, "But I cannot let you treat Legolas like this, Thranduil. I certainly would never impose myself, for I-"

"Galion messaged you", she blinked. Had he not heard anything she had been saying? 

"I don't see how that is relevant right now. But what makes you believe that?", breathing to calm herself seemed to work, for the King still possessed all his hair and his head. 

"He has done nothing but care for Legolas ever since we have returned from the battlefield", she sighed and let her head fall into her open palms and Thranduil heard her praying, "How dare he to call you without my approval!", glared Thranduil. It all made sense now. 

"You would not have allowed my presence in here", she understood that their friend had overstepped, but he had been desperate, "Would you tolerate to even hear my name? No, you wouldn't", she shook her head, "You would not wish for anything that could rewaken your memory", the fact he did not see pain in her eyes made him frown, "Galion did what anyone would have done. He asked for help, and waited for it to come. It came, and now he is helping with anything he can", the King laughed drily, "What are you laughing at?"

"And what will you do now?", she had been about to answer, but his anger was too much, "Can you do anything at all? No, no you can't", finally, her eyes showed what he had been wanting to see, "You believe yourself capable of repairing what has been done? Bring her back, then", she was finally defeated.

"You are well aware I am not capable of doing that, Thranduil", her eyes had tears inside them, but he did not find it in his heart to care, "No one can", her shoulders fell, and she looked down at her hands.

"We finally agree about something; no one can", he stood up, "Do not try to fix what has no repair, Mäetharanel", she looked up at him, and he saw it. She would die if it meant having his Queen back, "Do not try to be a hero, when you cannot be one. You cannot bring Vilissë back. You cannot help."

He left, after hurting her. She sat there, for minutes, just staring blankly towards the table, slumped against the chair. When her eyes looked up, she felt a gentle, comfortable hand on her shoulder. Galion had finally approached. A heavy silence surrounded them, until she sighed.