Sons of Dís

Ered Luin became more and more easy to live in but, should anyone ask her, Mäetharanel would say it was the most terrible thing that happened to her. The royal family had welcomed her, and the other dwarves eventually warmed up to her too. 

Her days were spent with Dís, who attended to her responsibilities as the lady of the Durin line. Everyone knew and followed her, but above all, everyone believed her and held deep care towards the sister of Thorin. It had taken two trips to the market with Dís hooking her arm around Mäetharanel's and laughing with her, only that, for the other dwarves to stop glaring at the elf. Thanks to that, she had enjoyed two years of peace and quiet, at least when it came to the other beings.

Thorin, as the heir and future king, had no time to do anything but attend to things that concerned the Blue Mountains' safety or the quest to reclaim their true home. Sometimes, he would appear to quickly have a meal, or because he had forgotten something back at home, which Mäetharanel noticed happened quite frequently. Because she lived with him, it was unavoidable that she would memorize his schedule, but one particular day, he surprised her by appearing when he was not supposed to. 

Putting the scrolls she had been reading in the table, she turned her head around to look at him as he walked inside the house, with grim in his clothes and hair. He had gone on an orc hunt, for sure, which meant Kili and Fili hadn't gone with him, probably Dwalin and some other guards, and brought a bag in his hand that had something heavy in it. 

Imagine Mäetharanel's surprise when he discarded the bag in the table, went to have a bath, and after she stood up to quench her curiosity, she found an orc head inside. That he had put on the table. THE TABLE, where they ate. When Thorin walked inside the living room, his hair still wet and with no shirt, the elf began lecturing him about bringing trash inside the house. The dwarf lord waved her off and told her how it had been a great prey. It had been the last time Mäetharanel touched any bag he brought.

The quest had been under preparation for some time now. Thorin would often call for Mäetharanel so she could give her invoice, which she appreciated. Dwalin, who was in charge of training young Fili and Kili, when his guard duties allowed him, would always be present, and more often than not, him and the elf would argue about the decisions the other would make. It was a dragon they would be going against, and it would be no easy task. 

Balin, sweet Balin who always took some time to think and ask before speaking, was the middle ground between them. So far, he had been the most caring dwarf she had met, as he would ask about how she was adapting, how her health was or how she was handling the weather. Even after years, he cared for such questions. He was also Thorin's scribe, which meant they met occasionally, for he had to attend every meeting. 

One of the last meetings they had concerning the Company's members proved to be successful; they all accepted the challenge. Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Óin, Glóin, Dori, Nori and Ori would be joining them! 

"It will be a most difficult quest, Thorin", they had met in Thorin's home this time, and Balin spoke after analysing all he had written.

"Do not fret, cousin", the king put a hand on his shoulder, "We may be few, but we are dwarves."

"My only concern, at the moment, as I have not met the other dwarves, is if Fili and Kili are ready", Mäetharanel leaned back against the chair and looked down at the papers the older Fundinson had brought to them. They contained the acceptance of the other members.

"Of course you'd doubt of me trainees!", the elf smirked at Dwalin's remark. The princess found herself annoying the dwarf more and more in the two years she had met him. It was almost a hobby she had.

"Dwalin, my dear, it is not your training that concerns me", she crossed her legs and untied her hair, "I worry about their prudence when it comes to one another. They are young, after all", pausing on purpose so she would look at the ends of her hair, she soon resumed the conversation, "young and dwarves", the three of them scoffed, and Dwalin even glared at her, "you cannot deny how prideful you all are!", throwing the hair strand back she frowned, "Dwalin, your training sessions with them will do them no good if they cannot control themselves."