Queen

The day began early, as it always did in the Woodland Realm. Finally, the princess and Galion had been together. After he scolded and pampered her at the same time, their time was cut short as guards called for the butler and after promising he would search for her later, there he went.

She wished nothing more than to spend her day in the dungeons with the dwarves, but instead, the library of the king made her hostage. She found herself realizing that she missed the elvish words that were part of her. A pile of books stood by her side, books she had meant to read, until someone disturbed her peace.

"Good morning, Mäetharanel", quickly, she sat up on the long sofa she had been laying down on. Thranduil regarded her with his hands inside the sleeves of his long coat, his crown was missing from his head, "I take it you already feel back at home."

"Why, I thought I was at ease anywhere in your kingdom?", shaking his head he turned his back to her.

"Come, lunch is served", frowning, the princess began standing up.

"Lunch?", she glared at his shaking head. and when she looked outside, the sun was way up in the sky, "Oh dear, it seems I stayed here the whole morning", setting down the book, she stood up and followed after the king.

"I hear you have been with Galion", he took her through the corridors and acknowledged all the bows people gave him.

"So, Galion told you we were together", he raised an eyebrow and she smiled, "Yes, Thranduil, your butler amused me before we were rudely interrupted by some guard saying the king had no wine in the cellar."

"It is what happens when Mereth Nuin Giliath is close", the door to the room they would eat in was opened, and the king motioned for her to go inside first, "Or have you also forgotten our festivities?", ignoring him, she sat down in a chair near his, that was on the end of the table.

During lunch time, Galion appeared and spoke in whispers to the king that nodded in the end. Passing by her, Galion smiled and patted her shoulder and she smiled right back at him. He remained the same.

After they finished their meal, servants took their plates and the remains off the table and Thranduil stood up and lead her near the fireplace by holding her hand. After sitting her down, he put a heavy blanket on top of her legs and she raised an eyebrow.

"Why are you mothering me?", asked the princess while putting herself comfortable on the tall, comfy chair. Thranduil himself sat down and faced her with a serious expression.

"What news have you got from Doriath?", she turned to look at the flames and shook her head.

"I have none, for I did not seek my kingdom. Should they need me, they are well aware of how to find me", the king chuckled and she glared while pulling at the skin in the end of her fingernails, hidden inside the blanket, "Legolas told me there is something you should inform me of", he nodded.

"There is", despite the seriousness in his expression, his voice came very gentle, "You should have known it by now, for if they know how to find you, then this should have reached you long ago", he stood up and reached inside his pockets, "It is irresponsable they have not told you of it."

"Thranduil, the person I left taking care of my matters knows what they are doing", he nodded once more, "If they did not tell me, it cannot be that urgent, besides, my father-", taking a deep breath, the king spoke fast.

"Mäetharanel, your father has fallen in battle", it took her some moments to process what he had said.

It was as if Vilissë had died again, it was as if her whole world had crumbled. She stared at him as he came to her holding a ring. Her father's deep blue and silver ring. He gave it to her, but all she did was stare at it, trying to access the situation as calmly as she could, trying to not bring out what she was holding inside her heart and her mind, trying to appear composed and reserved, but her shaking hands told the king otherwise. He knew what she was feeling far too well.