Chapter 3 - The Woman On The Rooftop

Several days later, I walked the empty, wasted streets of the old city, barely able to breathe through my filter mask. I'd heard rumors of someone coming out of The Sanctuary, so I was scoping out the situation.

A flicker of movement caught my eye. Something or someone was moving across the rooftops. I instinctively reached for my pistol, which hung at my side, trusty as ever. I followed the movement closely, staying in the shadows. After following the movement for several minutes, it finally came to a stop. Spotting an old fire escape nearby, I climbed up, braced for whatever I might discover.

I grasped the rungs, hauling myself up one rung at a time until I reached the roof. In the center of the roof was an array of scientific instruments, buzzing, whirring, and clicking as they measured the environment. Examining the screen was a familiar person. I accidentally hit a rock, which clinked, alerting the person to my presence.

The young woman whipped around to face me, confirming my suspicions. The woman's light brown hair was pulled back into a large braid, and her shimmering green eyes were enchanting. She had a narrow face, and her lips were thin. The woman stood barely shorter than I was, and had decently toned muscles.

Her eyes went wide as she saw me, and she pulled out a gun I hadn't ever seen before. Pointing the weapon at me, her eyes narrowed at me. By instinct, I pulled my own weapon out and aimed it at her. "Who are you and what are you doing here?" She asked, circling me.

"I could ask you the same question," I said calmly.  "What's a lovely young woman like you doing all alone out in this toxic air?"

"Research." She said, still glaring at me. "What about you."

"Well, when I hear a rumor about someone leaving The Sanctuary, I can't help but be curious," I said, smiling confidently. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you?"

The woman hesitated as if contemplating how much to tell me. "I might know something. What does it matter to you?"

"I'm just wondering what someone from The Sanctuary would ever want with the outside world," I said. "After all, they live all safe and comfortable in their little heaven while the rest of the world chokes. Nothing of worth to them out here."

"I wouldn't say that's true." The woman said. "Maybe some of them still care about the world. Maybe some want to know the world as it was."

"Well that's too bad, isn't it? After all, the world is long past dead." I said grimly. "Now, who will put their weapon away first? You, or me?"

"You first." The woman demanded, her hand shaking as she kept her gun trained on me. "I promise I won't shoot."

"You promise?" I said. "A fat lot of good that is. Nobody keeps their promises. Ever."

"People could surprise you." The woman said. "Now, put the gun away."

"Fine," I growled. "You put yours down while I put mine down."

"Deal." She said, mimicking me as I slowly placed my pistol back in its holster.

"Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?" I said grinning. "My name is Samael Saller. And you are?"

"Asha. Asha Farvald."