Chapter 7 - Lasers!

A long hallway lay sprawling in front of us. As we stepped forward, I could hear a faint humming. I shot my hand out in front of Asha, stopping her from moving further into the hall.

"Wait a second," I said. "There's something guarding the halls."

"Like what?" Asha asked.

"Do you have any powder makeup with you?" I asked.

"Stop dodging my question," Asha said.

"Answer mine first," I said.

"Yeah, I do," Asha said, pulling out a small compact and handing it to me.

"Brilliant," I said as I opened the compact. I blew the powder out and into the air in front of us. Suddenly lasers came into sight, glowing red off of the power. "Lasers, that's what stands between us and our prize."

"Now what?" Asha asked.

"Now we move very carefully across the room," I said. "Ladies first."

"Why do I have to go first?" Asha demanded.

"Because I'm feeling nice," I said. "Now lead the way m'lady."

Asha grunted and started weaving in and out of the lasers with remarkable agility. As she reached the other side, I started after. I was strenuous work, and it required me to be very aware of where every laser was. As I reached the far side I breathed a sigh of relief.

"See, no sweat," I said as I leaned back against the wall. Before I even realized what happened, the room lit up in red as the speaker system shouted.

"Intruder alert, intruder alert. Unauthorized personnel are in the building!" The speakers blared.

A large cage dropped from above, trapping the two of us inside. I desperately rattled the bars, but they held. "Well shoot."