Chapter 6 - Roboto Doggo

We slowly turned to face the source of the sound. Standing several feet above us was a total abomination. A massive mechanical fusion growled at us. In the center, there was what may have at one time been a normal dog. Now all that was left was the general shape of a dog with wires sticking out of it, suspending it in the center of this monstrosity. There were four metal legs attached to where the poor dog's legs once may have been.

The robotic dog took another step towards us, growling mechanically. One of its legs flew at us, knocking us back several feet. Our weapons flew from our hands, landing several feet away. The guard robot charged toward us as I looked desperately for something, anything with which to fight this monstrosity.

Laying on the ground not to far from me was a long piece of metal. Without even taking a moment to consider where it'd come from, I picked it up and started waving it in front of the robotic guard dog. The beasts head followed the metal stick, focusing intensely.

"What the heck are you doing Samael?" Asha asked.

"I really don't know. I think I'm distracting it!" I said. At least the robot dog wasn't trying to kill us.

"Well throw the darned stick already!" Asha yelled.

"Why would I throw my only weapon of defense away?!" I shouted.

"Because dogs love to chase sticks!" Asha screamed. "Now throw it!"

Everything clicked. The core processing unit of this monstrosity was still a dog. A dog that was easily distractible by sticks. I threw the stick with all my might, and the robot dog ran after it.

"Come on, grab our stuff and run," I said, helping Asha to her feet.

We ran to where our weapons had been knocked away, grabbing them and making a beeline for the central building of the compound. We barely made it to the door when the robot dog returned to where we'd been, looking for its playmates.

"Sorry doggo!" I shouted. "But we can't stick around to play!"

And we entered the stronghold.