Chapter One

Sophomore Year: Winter Break

The diner located off the Montauk Highway was completely unremarkable. It had not changed since it was established in 1956. The vinyl seats were ripped, old foam peeking out of the cracks. There was a jukebox against the wall of the diner, which would have added charm to the place but the only song it played was Tom Jones's "What's New Pussycat" so it didn't get much use.

To the average person, the diner was completely ordinary. However, at a closer glance, it had been the location of multiple events that changed the course of history. It was the diner that Poseidon took Sally Jackson on a date, resulting in the birth of Perseus Jackson. Then a friendship had been formed between two pantheons after an Egyptian magician and a Greek demigod fought a crocodile together and stumbled into the diner to rest. They were there again, but this time the magician had brought his sister and a goddess.

Percy Jackson stared at the cat goddess, Bast, in apprehension. "Normally, when a god asks me for a favor I end up getting hurt."

"You can trust her, Percy," Carter reassured.

Bast pulled up a chair to the end of the table, leaving the space next to Percy empty. It made Percy feel marginally better. It meant that he would be free to leave if he didn't want to help her. He already knew that he would probably help her, but he didn't need to let Bast know that.

"Are you aware of the nation of Wakanda?" Bast asked.

Percy furrowed his brow at the unexpected question. "Everyone knows about Wakanda. The entire world thought they were a poor country but then they revealed they were actually the most technologically advanced state in the world after the new king took over."

Bast nodded in affirmation. "That's correct. However, there's more to the story than that. When the nation first formed, there were five tribes settled on it. They were at war with each other until I chose a warrior from one of the tribes and gave him the power of the Black Panther through the magic of the Heart-Shaped Herb. He became the king of Wakanda, with four of the five tribes living under his rule. To keep the vibranium safe they decided to hide in plain sight from the outside world."

"So you're their patron goddess?" Percy asked. Bast nodded and Percy continued, "I don't mean to be rude, but what does that have to do with me?"

"When the previous king, T'Chaka, was younger he killed his brother N'Jobu after N'Jobu betrayed Wakanda. He left N'Jobu's son N'Jadaka, or Erik, in California. Erik grew up to become a black-ops operative under the codename Killmonger. After King T'Chaka died, his son T'Challa went home to take his place. He was only crowned king for a few days before his cousin challenged him for the throne. He defeated T'Challa in ritual combat and became the king of Wakanda. His first act as king was to burn all of the Heart-Shaped Herbs in the kingdom so no one could use the power against him," Bast explained.

"That's where I come in, isn't it?" Percy interrupted. Bast's silence answered him. "You want me to figure out a way to get into one of the most guarded countries in the world, find the king, convince him I'm not lying and then give him a magical plant, assuming I'm not killed on sight."

Bast smirked at him."Yes. This will be beneficial to all of the pantheons. The Wakandans will be powerful allies in the upcoming war."

Percy sighed in resignation and leaned his head back against the booth. "When do you want me to do this?"

There was a glint in Bast's eye and her lips quirked upwards. "Your winter break in coming up, right?"

Percy was relieved that he didn't have to miss school. He mentally shuddered after he finished the thought. He was beginning to enjoy school. His relief faded when Bast slammed a large tome in front of him. Dust rose up from the yellowed pages and Percy coughed as he accidentally inhaled some of it. Percy looked at the book in front of him. It was at least four inches thick. There was a panther head embossed on the cover, surrounded by vines.