Chapter Four

Sophomore Year: Spring Break

Peter stood outside Delmar's Bodega, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet. He had shown up ten minutes early and was waiting for Jason. But fifteen minutes had already passed and he was starting to get fidgety.

"Perce!"

Peter almost didn't react but when he looked up he saw Jason half-jogging towards him. "Hey Perce, sorry I'm late, I am really not a fan of your subway."

Jason was wearing a dark blue button-up and actual loafers. Combined with the glasses and leather satchel sitting on his shoulder he looked like a mix of your quintessential frat boy and someone's rogue TA. 

Peter's mouth went dry and he licked his lips while his brain rebooted. It had been a minute too long but he still let out a gasp of mock offense. "How dare you? The subway is essential to a proper New York experience.

"Also, the name is Peter. I know it's easy to mix up, but a lot of people know me around here, so it's probably best if you don't." Peter glanced down at the leather messenger bag and raised an eyebrow. "What's with the bag? You bring your brick with you in case you get bored? Or maybe you have some staples in there for some light snacking?"

Jason blushed and ran his hands through his hair, making the ends stick up. "Okay, don't come for me, it's called a loculus and lots of Romans carry one. You never know what you might need. And maybe I do have some staples, but I'm sure as hell not sharing with you now."

Peter could see Mr. Delmar eyeing them from inside the bodega, grabbing his apron as he prepared a cutting board. Apparently, Peter really was that predictable. He needed to switch things up every once in a while.

At the exact moment he turned to walk into the bodega, Jason leaned in to kiss him. But instead of kissing his mouth or cheek, Jason's face mashed into the side of Peter's head, throwing them both off balance. They looked up at each other for a moment before bursting into laughter.

"Okay, may-"

"Uh, I'm sorry, I thought-"

Peter knew his face had to resemble a tomato and Jason wasn't faring much better. "No, it's okay, it's more than okay, I am ready for this." He breathed deeply, begging Aphrodite to make the rest of this date go a little easier. "I wasn't totally expecting that but let's try again huh?"

"Okay awesome, I won't headbutt you this time," Jason promised. Peter breathed in again and smiled up at him. He was so used to being a little taller than Jason but as Peter, he was only 5'6" so he had to stand on the tips of his toes to reach Jason's face.

Peter softly kissed Jason's cheek, focusing on the infamous staple scar. He was still surprised by the difference between them when he was Peter. Jason looked noticeably older, light stubble visible up close.

Jason smiled widely as they stood and stared at each other for far too long. Peter wasn't sure he could be more mortified but at the same time there was a small part of him that really appreciated how nice and normal this felt.

He also knew Mr. Delmar was never going to let him live this down. Peter could already hear the teasing that would come every time he was just trying to get a sandwich. He took Jason's hand and led him into the small sandwich shop.

"Hey, Pete," Mr. Delmar greeted. Peter didn't quite like the way the man was grinning at him. "I was wondering how much longer you were going to loiter outside my shop."

Peter could feel his face getting warm. His gaze flickered to Jason, who, fortunately, was distracted, looking at the menu. Mr. Delmar followed his line of sight. "Who's the white boy?"