Chapter Twelve

Junior Year: Fall Break

The wind rushed past Peter's face, stinging his cheeks red as he swung through Manhattan but he didn't notice or care about it. His mouth was split into a wide grin but that was always the case after he visited his mom. As much as he loved Hestia, his mom somehow always managed to put everything he was feeling into perspective. This time he had asked for advice on his growing relationship with Tony. Every time he left the compound, there was a crushing sense of guilt. Not for starting to think of his mentor as more but for not feeling guilty about the time they spent together. He already had a father, he didn't need another one. (He didn't deserve one.)

Sally had made blue chocolate chip cookies and explained to him that even if Poseidon was his father, he was never a consistent presence so, of course, it was okay that he found one in Tony. He had left the apartment with the promise to visit again the next week and his heart feeling lighter than it had in weeks.

Now though, as he came in sight of the old Avengers tower he slowed down and doubt started to creep in. Sure he had been starting to think of Tony as his father figure but that didn't mean his mentor returned the sentiment. There were still days that Peter was pretty sure the man only put up with him because he was Spider-Man. Plus, Tony was already so busy with trying to fix the Sokovia Accords and SI that Peter didn't want to bother him with something else to add on to his plate.

The sound of breaking glass pulled sharply on his ears. Peter tilted his head and focused on the sound. It was coming from a few blocks away which made him tilt his head in curiosity. Normally, he filtered out noise like that; they were in one of the busiest cities in the US, if he listened to every instance of breaking glass then he would never sleep. Something told him to check it out and for the first time in a few months, he couldn't tell if it was his Spidey-Sense or demigod instincts.

Once he was above the alley where the noise originated (making him wonder, not for the first time, why all bad things happened in alleys) he looked down and saw two men cornering another man. The victim had broken his beer bottle for some attempt at a weapon but judging by the way he was swaying and the guns the other men were sporting it wouldn't help him.

The two attackers were in the middle of threatening the man when Peter decided to surprise them. Shooting two webs he managed to disarm both of the men before he flipped down into the alley. "So do all of your super shady meetings take place in alleys? Or just this one?" He asked curiously.

The two men glanced at each other before the one on the right swung at him. Peter ducked under the fist and pushed the man so he went stumbling into the wall. "Fine, don't answer my question. Didn't you learn manners growing up?" He shook his head mockingly.

His friend took the opportunity to pick up a metal pipe that was just lying on the ground and swing it at his head. Peter's head rang at the last second and he dodged the blow but the edge of the pipe managed to catch his arm and Peter could feel the blood welling up through the fabric, even if the suit itself didn't tear.

"Aw, man," he complained, rolling his shoulder in an attempt to stop the pain. "You better hope that doesn't stain. I was having such a good night too."

Figuring he was dragging the fight on too long, Peter readjusted his stance to go on the offensive. His Spidey-Sense rang in his head and he threw his elbow back on instinct, catching the first guy in the nose. He kicked the one with the metal pipe in the stomach and he crashed into a dumpster. Taking advantage of his confusion, he webbed both of the guys' hands to the lid of the dumpster before spinning and knocking the first guy unconscious with a light punch. He winced as he heard a tooth crack as the man hit the ground but didn't feel too bad for him.