CHAPTER 8

After it all, I stay up on the sofa until the break of dawn in silence.  Regina sleeps by my side.

A person has to be really fucking evil to do something like this to such an innocent spirit such as Bella. I would give anything to have her back in my life.

Last night, I texted Leon to let him know what I found. He was in the middle of questioning Eli and I haven't heard anything yet since.

I call out sick for the day not wanting to work in so much anguish.

Around 12 pm in the afternoon, Leon comes by to inform me of the investigation.

Reggie finishes getting dressed, kisses my forehead and leaves out for work.

I sit up on the couch ready to take in everything he says.

"I'm so so sorry about Bella. She did not deserve to die. She was such a good spirit." Leon hugs me tight and I let out a deep breath for the first time this morning.

He sits back, straightens up his clothes from last night and lets out a breath.  "Eli wasn't that tough to crack. He's been...following you and watching you for months now and he only says he just watches you. When we asked about the photos and notes...he actually looked hurt. He yelled over and over that he would never do anything to harm you. He said that all he wanted to do was scare you. To get "revenge" for some fucked up reason. Were you aware of his behavior before?"

Stunned I thought about what I could've missed that would have led me to believe it was him.  "Elijah was a nice guy and I always thought of him as family. I never knew he would do something like this. I'm so fucking clueless."

I place my head in my hands.

"The thing is, he said he didn't do the photos, notes, or kill Bella. After the lie detector and my partner almost beating the shit out of him because of his creepy ass rants. I believe him. He confessed to the stalking and just that. His place was searched we didn't find anything in it. His phone was clean. The messages weren't his."

Feeling like I want to rip out my hair, my eyes begin to flood with tears.

Does this mean they're still out there?

What the fuck do I do now?

Leon pulls me into his arms and I let him. Crying seems like the easiest thing to do at the moment and the sting of deception fills me up.

_____________________________

After an hour or so of talking about what to do with Eli, Leon says he has to leave and to call him if anything else happens.

Sitting in the living room I feel more alone than I ever did. I think about Jacob and how he is always the best at making me feel better ever since we were kids. He would always cheer me up without error.

Leading into the night I get consoling messages and calls from my coworkers that make me feel a little better. They all tell me they miss me and to take as much time off as I need. I tell them I'll be back soon and to hold it down at the shop.

I soon hear Reggie unlocking the door. She walks in and sits by me sighing.

"Have you heard from Jacob at all 'cause I haven't."

Remembering the awkward drive back from the hospital I exhale.  "He...told me that he had feelings for me Reg. Can you believe that?"

Reggie starts coughing uncontrollably and I reach over and pat her back. When that doesn't work I make her a glass of water and give it to her.

She takes a sip with wide eyes. "He just messed up the whole dynamic of our friendship! What is he thinking? I should call his ass right now! How could he!"

Reggie reaches for her phone and I stop her.

"No Reggie. We should give him some time. It's not his fault."

"And it's not your fault you don't feel the same! He should know that!" Reggie then begins to relax and try to calm down. "You guys are all I have I don't want something like this to break us apart. Ten years now we've been knowing each other. That's special right there."

"You always got me. No doubt right?" I raise my fist to initiate are handshake and she follows.

"No doubt."

We hug and for the rest of the night, we watch a bunch of movies while eating a ton of popcorn just like we did when we were little. Forgetting about the threat that still lurks around.