5- Frowns and winces

The next morning, Lizzie came at his place at the usual time. She didn't took him out for once, they stayed in his kitchen while she unpacked what she brought.

-- You already made a mirror box, Tom asked stunned.

-- Well, you're very much less of a dick when you spend 15 minutes in it, so yeah!

He sulked. He wasn't in the mood for jokes. Pain had woken him up before the sun again and the effect of his meds was fading.

It was not really a box, just a rectangular mirror on a stand. But she set it on the kitchen table after pushing aside empty boxes and dirty plates. She made a face. He should go put on a t-shirt.

He placed himself so that the edge of the mirror rested against his left shoulder and sighed in relief. His arm was back. The pain slowly flushed away as he flexed his hand. His hands.

-- Take your time, she said. No session today.

She ran her hand in his short hair. Then she pulled out her phone, started some music and unpacked the second bag. She had brought groceries. Tom listened to her as she hummed the tune. It was kind of enhancing the effects if the mirror.

-- Seriously Tom, she scowled lifting up his watch from under a half empty box of thai food. This thing probably costs more than my car! Take care of it!

He shrugged and held out his right hand to grab it. He used to love this watch. His Mum and him bought it together a few years ago. What was the point now? He couldn't put it on. And even if he did, it wasn't like he had an agenda nowadays so he could live without knowing what time it was.

Lizzie sat in front of him with a tissue and took the watch to clean it. She was frowning and pursing her lips. She carefully put it on the table, between his arms. His arm and the mirror. Then she rested her hand on his and squeezed it.

Tom watched the reflection of her fingers rubbing his skin. A warm sensation started spreading on his left side. It was almost as if she was caressing his left hand. He caught her thumb with his, making her flinch but she didn't moved. Their eyes met briefly and they stayed like that for a long time, music filling the silence.

Then she sent him to get dressed. He put on a t-shirt but she glared at him.

-- You still look like you're in your pyjamas. Get dressed, Tom.

She wanted him to try put on his jeans again. He sighed. She was stubborn! But his mood was better now, so he tried. Maybe he wanted to please her? She came in his room while he was zipping his fly up and gave him an encouraging smile. But after 3 failed attempt with the button he sighed heavily and sat on his bed. This was stupid. He was worthless!

-- Come on Tom! You used to brag about how you could untie a bra with one hand, she giggled. How is that harder?

-- I guess that's another skill of mine I won't be needing anymore, he sasses. No girl's ever gonna want me to do that, he added with a sigh. No girl's ever gonna love me...

He felt Lizzie tensing and lifted his eyes up to hers. She was glaring at him.

-- You're such an idiot!

There was something else in her eyes. Something he couldn't read. She took his face in her hands and he was ready to hear another lecture about self esteem and shit like that. But she didn't spoke...Her face softened as she leaned closer. Tom's brain went blank, unable to process what was happening.

She kissed him. A gentle kiss, pressed on his lips. For a second it sent a wave of warmth through all his body, flushing away what was left of pain. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the serenity it brought to him.