Chapter Eight, The ugly trio (eating percy's pants! O:)

Chapter Eight

The Ugly Trio (and eating percy's pants)

Okay so I was rushing now, not much between what Annie and Perce difference this chapter really sucks but the next one is gonna be better. Probably...

It didn't take me long to pack. I decided I would take a change of clothes, my Yankees cap, my celestial bronze knife, and a book on famous classical architecture for when I got bored.

Chiron gave Percy and I each a canteen of nectar and a Ziploc bag full of ambrosia squares, to be used only in emergencies, if we were seriously hurt.

Grover wore his fake feet and his pants to pass as human. He wore a green rasta-style cap, because when it rained you could see his horns. In his backpack he has scrap metal and apples for him to snack on. And finally, in his pocket was a set of reed pipes.

Percy just had a set of spare clothes and a toothbrush, along with some ambrosia and nectar, in his backpack.

We waved good-bye to the other campers, took one last look at the strawberry fields, the ocean, and the Big House, then hiked up Half-Blood Hill to the tall pine tree that used to be my best friend, Thalia, daughter of Zeus.

Chiron was waiting for us in his wheelchair. Next to him stood the camp's head of security, Argus.

"This is Argus," Chiron told Percy. "He will drive you into the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things."

I heard footsteps behind us.

Luke came running up the hill, carrying a pair of basketball sneakers.

"Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you."

I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks.

"Just wanted to say good luck," Luke told Percy. "And I thought...um, maybe you could use these."

He handed Percy the sneakers, which looked pretty normal.

Luke said, "Maia!"

White bird's wings sprouted out of the heels, startling Percy so much, he dropped them. The shoes flapped around on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared.

"Awesome!" Grover said.

Luke smiled. "Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days..." his expression turned sad.

"Hey, man," Percy said. "Thanks."

"Listen, Percy..." Luke looked uncomfortable. "A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just...kill some monsters for me, okay?"

They shook hands. Luke patted Grover's head between his horns,then he gave a good-bye hug to me.

After Luke was gone, Percy told me, "You're hyperventilating."

"Am not."

"You let him capture the flag instead of you, didn't you?"

"Oh...why do I want to go anywhere with you, Percy?"

I stomped down the other side of the hill, where a white SUV waited on the shoulder of the road. Argus followed me, jiggling his car keys.

Soon after, Grover came by, looking like a possessed lawn mower coming towards the van.

Percy, finally, caught up with us and got in the van.

A couple minutes later Argus drove us out of the countryside and into western Long Island.