Chapter 13, Burgers and Fries and Abandonded Water Parks OH MY!

Chapter Thirteen, Burgers and Fries Abandonded Water Parks OH MY!

We sat in a booth in a gleaming chrome diner. I had no idea how we were going to pay for the food, but I was too hungry to think it through at that moment.

A waitress came over. She raised her eyebrows skeptically and asked, "Well?"

"We, um, want to order dinner." Percy said.

"You kids have money to pay for it?" The waitress asked.

I was ready to pass out from hunger. Grover's lower lip quivered. Percy looked like he was thinking of a dumb sob story about more circus caravans.

Suddenly, the building shook. A huge (I mean huge, huge) motorcycle pulled up to the curb. The motorcycle had flames painted on its gas tank and a leather seat. A shotgun holster riveted to either side with real shotguns.

All the conversation in the diner stopped. Everyone stared at the guy on the motorcycle. The man was huge, like his motorcycle. He had a hunting knife strapped to his thigh and red wraparound shades. He had the cruelest face ever. He wore a red muscle shirt and black jeans.

I knew who he was. He was Ares, the god of war. I had seen him many times when I went on trips to Olympus. I grew worried. Why was Ares here? What did he want?

As Ares entered the diner, everyone rose in his "godly presence". Whatever. Ares waved his hand dismissively and the people sat down again, going back to their conversations.

The waitress blinked. She acted like nothing happened and asked us again, "You kids have money to pay for it?"

Ares walked up. "It's on me," He said. He slid into our booth and crowded me up the window. I wasn't comfortable at all. I grew angry. Why did he have to crowd me up against the window? What was wrong with him? I fought to keep my emotions under control, knowing Ares' presence was affecting me.

Ares looked up at the waitress. She was gaping at him. "Are you still here?" He asked. He pointed at her and she stiffened. She spun around and marched back towards the kitchen.

I grew mad at Ares for placing charms on innocent people, but kept my emotions under control.

Ares looked at Percy. He grinned wickedly and said, "So, you're old Seaweed's kid, huh?"

Percy glared at Ares. Ares was affecting Percy, too, but Percy couldn't keep his anger down. "What's it to you?"

I flashed Percy a warning with my eyes. "Percy, this is-"

Ares raised his hand. "S'okay. I don't mind a little attitude. Long as you remember who's the boss. You know who I am, little cousin?"

Percy thought. Wow, if Percy didn't know this, Ares would be so mad. I wondered what would happen if Percy guessed Aphrodite...

"You're Clarisse's dad," Percy said. "Ares, god of war."

Ares grinned and took off his shades, revealing fire in place of his eyes. "That's right, punk. I heard you broke Clarisse's spear."

"She was asking for it." Percy defended.

"Probably. That's cool. I don't fight my kids' fights, you know? What I'm here for-I heard you were in town. I got a little proposition for you."

Proposition? That couldn't be good. If Ares needed something from kids when he was a god and could probably do it by himself... then something would be wrong.

The waitress came back with trays heaping with cheeseburgers, fries, onion rings, and chocolate shakes. It looked so good!

Ares handed her some gold drachmas.