Nine - Clouded Skies

★★★

Gabe and I quickly ate and we left the city and went towards the south. We kept walking for hours in silence and we finally reached the next town by the time dusk fell. The buildings in the town were all in the same shape and were all painted in white. However, the town was very quiet and looked pretty unmaintained, with litters on every corner of the road and fallen leaves strewn around the road. A stench rose from the gutters and something slimy ran down the buildings nearby. The street lights were pretty dim and some of them flickered on and off.

"Where are we?" he muttered.

"Block Town..." I read a sign nearby aloud, "...that's strange, I don't remember a town called Block Town..."

"Maybe it's new?" Gabe asked.

"It... doesn't really look like it, though..." I said as I glanced around.

Gabe just nodded and walked into the town. I quickly followed him to the town. There was no one in the streets at all. The town was very quiet. It was like a ghost town.

I don't think anyone is staying here... it's deserted... I thought, this town is... somewhat strange...

We reached the end of the town. Without a word, Gabe got out his camping equipment and started to set the tent.

"We're staying here?" I asked.

"...well, it's about to go dark and..." he said, "that is, if that's okay with you,"

"No, no it's... fine," I quickly said and put my own bag on the ground.

He's been so quiet for a while... ever since we visited the restaurant this afternoon... I wonder what's wrong? I thought.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

"It's alright, thanks," he said without turning around.

I watched his thin figure worked to fix the tent to the ground. He seemed pretty glum, unlike the smiley person I always know.

I wonder if it's because... I thought.

"Oh, you don't have to thank me," he said, "your number, however, would be nice,"

When I thought about it, my chest tightened.

I feel bad for Gabe... I never really liked Bill but thought I'd change the way I speak so I wouldn't sound rude, but I just found myself playing into that jerk's trap... I really didn't know what's going on and then suddenly he just... I thought, what would Gabe think of me now? That I'm a naïve, cheap girl?

"Alright," he said without turning around at all, "I'm going to get a rest. Good night,"

He got out his sleeping bag and unrolled it.

"Hey, isn't it my turn to sleep outside?" I asked.

He stood up and dragged his stuff inside the tent without saying anything. The opening of the tent swayed as it closed behind him.

He didn't even want to look at me in the eyes... I thought in dismay.

I sighed and sat down on the tarpaulin.

He must be disappointed in me. Would it be better if I try to stay away from him? I thought, what if he started acting just like when he first found out about the rumours about me again...?

We're staying together... because we are bounded by magic, aren't we? Gabe wouldn't be as cruel to leave me if he knows that I'll fall ill? That doesn't sound right, though... it makes me feel bad for him...

I let a sigh escaped my mouth as I rested my head on my knees. Something was weighing on me, but I didn't know what. Something felt painful, but I didn't know what I should feel hurt for. Then suddenly something fell on the clear plastic sheet above me. I looked up to see that it started to rain. The rain pattered against the clear plastic sheet above me. The air became cooler and as I took a deep breath, I could smell the scent of wet soil. Petrichor.

Before, I couldn't stand the rain due to the amulet's gift but I just can't hate the rain... I thought, it's beautiful...

Then I remembered the time he dragged me away before Magda had any chance to strike me down. I remembered him putting a soft towel over me and dried my head off gently. I remembered he ran to get me drinks after. I leaned back and watched the rain pattered against the plastic roof.

It hurts... but there's nothing to be glum about... I'll see if giving him more room makes things better tomorrow, I thought, maybe I could try to be more helpful?

I'll look over the data once again before I turn in, I thought and turned to my bag once again.

I dug through my satchel and found the stack of paper immediately. My eyes began to scan them as I concocted possible scenarios of what might have happen to them and how. However, right as I turned a page, I spotted the page with pictures and spotted the picture of the young girl. She has flowing black hair with a decorative fabric stuck on both sides of her head. Her eyes were indigo, just like Gabe's. Her pointed, iceberg-like nose looked just like the mother's. Her jaw was long and somewhat angled.

 Nah, that's definitely a different person... right? I thought, age wise, I guess they're in the same age bracket...

But that is a pretty rare ability - I've never seen it in person before and for a little girl to be that powerful and talented...

I guess I have to found out more about the Spade team first... who they are and where they're from. I'll have to wait for response from the triad... and I guess I'll turn it for the night.

I got my own sleeping bag out and looked up to the sky.

Tomorrow, the sky will be clear, I thought as I went into my sleeping bag and closed my eyelids, and my thoughts will be too...

~~~

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of birds chirping. I quickly got up and picked up my belongings quickly. I took off the plastic roof myself and the tarpaulin too. Not much later, Gabe walked out of the tent. He looked at me for a while, then he looked at the tidied plastic sheet.

"Oh, you tidied up everything..." he said, his voice trailing off.

The least I can do, is to be helpful, right? I thought.

"Yeah," I said and dusted my hands, "are we going now?"

"Just a second," he said and quickly tidied up the tent.

I kept my gaze off him and buried myself in the new song.

"Lost in the skies

Lost in my mind

Lost in your warmth

That disappears into thin air...

Nothing was left

But my own arms and legs

Reaching out

For your light once again

When will these mysteries be unveiled?

When will my heart settle?

I found my legs running towards

Wherever it takes to find you back..."