Chapter 2: Freedom

What had just happened was all a bit fuzzy. One moment, I'm sobbing my heart out in my cell, trying to get some sleep, the next, flashing lights, alarms and many people running around in a frantic. The front of my cell was shattered, making a clear escape route. Could this be a trap? Or was I finally going to be free? My heart began to race in my chest as I ran out of my cell without a second thought. Many people in lab coats were too busy grabbing weapons to notice me. Adrenaline was pumping through my body, my breath coming out in fast, heavy bursts. A large red Exit sign hung above a door. I was inches away from freedom. I burst through the door, my eyes met with the burning light of day. I slowed to a stop a few feet from the lab, my eyes slowly adjusting to the light. Once they did, I took a deep breath of the fresh air. For the first time in forever, I didn't have the burning smell of chemicals and monster and human blood in my nose. Rather, I smelled the sweet scent of a nearby flower patch. Rather than the sounds of heavy machinery and loud screams echoing in my ears, I heard the sounds of the birds singing and bees buzzing. I could still hear the sounds of people's panic inside the lab along with the alarms blaring within. I didn't have the slightest bit of sympathy for any of them. But, I was curious as to what set off the alarms. Perhaps an escaped monster, or even a break in. One thing that I knew for a fact was I needed to get as far away from here as I possibly can. I began to walk, trying to figure out what I was going to be doing. I needed somewhere to live. But I wasn't human, so no one was going to rent me a room or give me a house. Plus, I didn't have any money to pay if someone did. Actually, I didn't have anything. No spare clothes, no money, no food... No one to turn to. I was completely alone. I was so excited to be free, but with no one to help me, I was just as lonely out here as I was back there. I had to figure something out. Perhaps I could steal until I managed to get on my feet. I didn't like the idea of stealing someone else's necessities for my own personal gain. I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I continued walking in a straight line, only changing course when I noticed a city nearby. I couldn't risk running into humans. They would never accept me. Never. I walked until my feet began to feel like they were going to blister, and even then I continued to walk. My feet were sore. I couldn't get blisters. I couldn't get any form of injures. And if I did, it wouldn't be long till it completely healed. Even the most lethal of hits would only phase me for a few moments. I couldn't die. Couldn't be killed. I could feel pain, but that was it. I kept my head down, not realizing I had walked into a city. By the time I realized it, I was already in the heart of it. I began to panic until I noticed something. It was completely run down. The buildings looked like they were rotting, all the stores were closed with vines growing up the sides. No one was walking around the streets. It was abandoned. And yet, the lights on the street were still on, flickering and casting a faint light on the street below. I walked over to an old, rusty water fountain and pressed the button. Water came shooting out as a rusty brownish red. After a moment, it became crystal clear. I take a small sip, slightly scared if it was poisoned. Completely clean and filtered. I slowly wipe the leftover water that was dripping from my mouth, looking around. A completely abandoned city with working water and electricity. How was this possible? I continue to walk around until I noticed a small hat on the ground. It had a picture of some sort of weapon on the front, a katana I believe. I lifted it up to my face and took a quick sniff of it. It smelt relatively clean with a faint scent of dust and mold. I put it on. It covered my horns surprisingly well. I walk around again, noticing a semi neat apartment building. I walk into it, noticing the main floor was a disaster. Though, like the hat, it smelled relatively clean. I walked up to the fourth floor, finding a room with a mattress, a working light bulb, and a safe. Curious, I walk over to it, noticing the lock was rusty and worn out. I began to tug at it, curious what was inside. It took half an hour to work the lock open. I slowly opened the safe, shocked by what was inside. A couple of different sized knives glistened in the faint light of the setting sun. I slowly picked up one of the blades, a butterfly knife I believe, twirling it slightly in my hand. I smile slightly at having a working weapon. All those years that I had dreamt of having a weapon to defend myself against the scientists... and after all these years I now have more than I'll ever know what to do with. And I knew exactly what I was going to do with them first.