Chapter 3: Friend or Foe?

"P-Please! Spare my life!" Hiroshi cried out, his glasses shattered with a few shards left in the frame. Blood trickled down the right side of his face as fear filled his eyes to the point you couldn't tell what color they were. Let me tell you, it was a beautiful sight, the terror in his eyes as he stared up at me, begging for his pathetic life. I slowly walked closer to him, the blade in my hand dripping with his blood. "If you don't mind telling me, what's the combination to your safe?" I ask in a sweet, almost sadistic voice. He seemed almost shocked. "I-It's 25167. Take whatever you want, but please spare my life." I hum a soft and gentle tune as I walk over to the large safe in the corner, putting in the combination. Once the safe opened, I began to stuff the stacks of money into a briefcase that I had brought. "Thank you Mr. Hiroshi. Your donation is appreciated." I slowly walk over to him, staring down at my blade. "But now, your services are now no longer required." I smirk and plunge my knife into his chest. I was so swift, he didn't even get a chance to scream before he died. I pull my blade out of him, causing blood to spray onto my outfit. "Damn. This will take forever to clean out." I whisper, looking at the blood that was slowly seeping through my cape and spreading to the rest of my shirt. I walk back over and grab the briefcase before jumping out of the nearest window. I walked along the dark, peaceful streets of the city. Ever person in a five mile radius has laid their tired head down and fallen asleep. The perfect time for me to strike. Slowly, over a three month period, I have been killing those who hurt me. I had 17 targets at first, and now with Mr. Hiroshi gone, I only had 4. Mr. Ichiro, Mrs. Akari, Mr. Jurouo, and Mr. Akio. I was purposely saving Mr. Akio for last. He hurt me most... so he's going to suffer the longest. He caused all my suffering, so I'm going to return the favor. I begin to gently hum again, looking around the dark and empty streets. Well, almost empty. My small smile that I had before turns wicked as I hear a faint, timid male voice talking to himself. Up ahead, there was a man, smaller than most, with light brown hair. He had his head down and his hands were fidgeting. Mr. Ichiro was always timid for someone who experimented with monsters. He continued to talk to himself, unaware that every step he took brought him closer to his death. Once he was in range, I didn't even bother to taunt him or to announce my presence. I just stabbed him. The little man died quickly, the look of surprise glued to his face. I begin to search his pockets, pulling out his wallet. "Cheap bastard. Only had a couple hundred on him." I groan, taking the money and tossing the wallet back to the ground. I go back to humming as I walk back to the old apartment I had made my home. I cleaned it up a little so it looked nicer. I had bought sheets for the old bed, brand new fluffy pillows, two blankets, a light one for the summer and a heavier one for the winter, some new clothes, bright green contacts for when I go out, a cleaning kit for my knives and a brand new lock for my safe with a key hidden somewhere no one would find it. I smile again as the old run down building came into view. I really loved it here. It was so cozy and I never had to worry about someone seeing me and calling a hero. I had learned the hard way after my first victim, Mr. Kaito, that there was an association, known as the Hero Association, that hunted and killed monsters. I had to lie low for a few days as the association let its guard down. Now, I kill my victims swiftly as to before where I would torture them till they screamed. I walked up to the fourth floor, opening the door to my room. Just as how I had left it. The white paint was peeling slightly off the walls, there was an old musty smell to it, my safe was still in the corner locked and my bed was a mess because I hadn't made it. I take a deep breath of the old musty, slightly rotten smell. For most people, the smell was most likely unpleasant and would lightly cause them to gag, but for me, it smelled like home. I take off my blood stained clothes and cape that I used for my kills so I was just standing in my underwear, deciding to go wash them the next day. On the table right beside my bed stood the hat I had found the day I came here. I then go over to my safe and grab the cleaning kit from on top of it. I cleaned the blood off of the knife until it shone like it was brand new. Then, I used the knife to slash an x into two pictures I had hanging up on one of the walls. There were 17 pictures in total. One for each of my targets. There were x's through 14 of them. Only three more to kill. After I finished looking at the pictures, I walk over and collapse onto the surprisingly comfortable bed. I let out a satisfied sigh as I cuddle one of my pillows close to me. Even though it had been 3 months since my escape, I still hadn't experienced love. But I had seen romantic movies as I walked passed a TV store, noticing two people cuddle close to each other when they go to bed. It looked... so nice. I wondered what I was like, to feel the warm embrace of someone who loves you? That was my final thought as I fall asleep completely.

The next morning, I get up early to beat the usual morning rush at the laundromat and throw on some baggy clothes along with the old hat to hide my horns and put in my green contacts to hide my slitted eyes. I grabbed one of my smaller knives and slip it into my pocket incase I ran into trouble. I load up my laundry into an old hamper I had found downstairs and walked over to the nearest city.

I stare down at the address my sensei had given me, keeping the basket of clothes close to my body. The laundry machine in his apartment had broke and today is laundry day, so he sent me down to a laundromat just outside of city Z where we lived. We had waited so long, the only thing I could use as a shirt was a black leather jacket that had the sleeves torn off that I hadn't worn in awhile. As I walked down the street, many people began to whisper and point at me. There were even a couple groups of girls who let out screams and tried to swarm me. Of course, I politely denied autographs and pictures. Being a part of the Hero Association wasn't easy when it came to fans, especially if you were a class S hero like me. After everything had calmed down, I walked into the laundromat, extremely relieved that there was only one other person there. It was a young girl, someone who couldn't have been older than 20 or younger than 18. After I had put the laundry into the washer, I sit next to the girl. She didn't even look up. I was surprised. Normally, any girl would look up and begin to ask questions, but she didn't even so much as flinch. She kept staring down at her hands, her long brown hair covering the side of her face. "Can I help you?" The girl asks in a soft voice, looking up at me with her stunning green eyes. I didn't realize I was staring at her. "No, I was slightly surprised you didn't begin to talk to me." I simply explain. "Why would I talk to you?" She asks, getting a confused look. "Do you not know who I am?" I ask her, now even more surprised. She thinks for a moment before slowly shaking her head. "Sorry, no. Have we met?" "No, I don't think so. My name is Genos." I extend my hand to her. She shakes it gently. "Eri." After introductions, we both go back to being silent. Eri stared down at her hands and I stare out the door of the building. After a few minutes, a familiar scent began to waft up. The smell of a monster. I did a silent scan of the area, but there were no monsters around. I look around the building, realizing the sent was coming from Eri. Did she fight monsters perhaps? If not, was she caught in an incident on the way here. "I don't recognize you. Are you from around here?" She asks, looking back up at me. "No, I live over in city Z with my sensei." I state, pointing into the direction of our apartment. A bit of color drains from her face but she smiles. "I live near there too." She says. Before I could ask where exactly because I hadn't seen her around before, there was a loud explosion from outside. I quickly stood up, noticing that Eri hadn't even flinched. I found that odd. I couldn't dwell on it for too long. I was grabbed by a large, Godzilla looking monster. He pulled me through the wall and roared loudly, causing screams of everyone in the nearby area. I struggled to get out of the monsters grip, shooting multiple missiles and fireballs at it, but it seemed completely unphased. "Hey! You almost destroyed my clothes!" I hear a female voice shout from below. It was faint, but I recognized it. "No Eri! This monster is powerful!" I shout down to her, still struggling from the monsters grip. It seemed like the more I struggled, the tighter his grip got. It got so bad that my mechanical parts began to spark and break apart. Before I could process what was happening, the monster suddenly dropped me and let's out a loud, pained shriek. As my body hits the ground, I look up at the large monster, who was wobbling side to side before falling to the ground, dead. I looked for any sort of injury, but saw none. It took me a moment to notice a small knife stuck between the monsters eyes. "Stupid monsters..." A soft voice says beside me. I look up to see Eri with her arms folded and a slightly irritated look on her face. "You... took down the monster?" I ask, trying to stand. "Of course. That's my knife lodged in its head." She mumbles and walks over to retrieve her knife. I was in shock. This young girl, no older than me, had taken down this huge monster that would have normally given class S heroes a hard time. 'So she does fight monsters.' I think to myself. She glances up at me before walking back into the laundromat and grabbing her clothes just as people began to gather around the monsters corpse. "See ya around Genos." She states and walks away. "Wait! Eri!" I shout, chasing after her, but I lost her inside the crowd. Cursing under my breath slightly for not learning more about her. She seemed very interesting and, to be honest, she was quite attractive. I had never really been interested in people, but she sparked my interest. I turn around and walk back to the half destroyed laundromat and grabbed the damp clothes from the washing machine. 'I'm sure Sensei wouldn't mind if I hang-dried them at home.' I think, walking back to the abandoned apartment of City Z, wondering if I would ever see Eri again.