Chapter 4: Second Run-In

I walked back into my apartment, throwing my clothes into the corner of my room and grabbing a glass of water from the kitchen. 'Genos... Where have I heard that name before?' I ask myself as I put on some fluffy pajamas I bought recently. I've heard that name before... and I know I've seen his face. I collapse onto my bed and pull out an old and beaten book from under my bed. The title read, "Hero Guide." It was a book that contained the names of heroes and their abilities. Well, those who were comfortable sharing information. Most heroes usually kept to themselves. It was maybe a year old and I had stumbled across it one day while wandering the empty streets. It was the key to my success. They always send the same heroes to capture me, and thanks to this book, I've always been able to avoid them. The heroes sent after me were only in the middle of Class B or lower, so I barely even glanced at the pages above class B. I did occasionally catch the names of class A and class S heroes. I begin to hum softly as I flipped through the pages of the guide, occasionally stopping to read the description of the heroes that caught my attention. As I began to descend into the Class S heroes, I quickly came across a very familiar face. 'The Demon Cyborg.' It was Genos. My eyes widen in surprise as I stare at his picture, where he looked like they could not take the picture fast enough. "No wonder he asked me if I recognized him. As a Class S hero, he must be very used to attention and questions." I state aloud to no one. I take a sip of my glass of water, reading his description. I began to choke as I noticed he was rated 6 in popularity. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Even though he was a cyborg, he was very attractive. His golden hair and eyes. His well toned body. Even something about his emotionless face was attractive. I lightly toss the book aside and pull out a folded up paper that was in my back pocket. It was a flyer that was for a sale at a supermarket that was just over the border of city Z. I figured I would restock on food because I was running low. There was a sale on pretty much everything. Crab, Squid, Noodles, Lobster, Beef, Chicken, Eggs, Corn, etc. I stood up and set out a nice looking outfit out for the next day. It wasn't anything fancy, just a fitted black shirt that helped my curves stand out and a pair of shorts I had washed. I glance out the window as the sun began to set, deciding it would be best to go to bed. Tomorrow night, I intended to go after Mrs. Akari. She was a very proud, stiff, 'stick up her ass' kind of woman, so I had no fear of going after her. I collapse onto my bed, tossing my hat on to the night stand as I pulled my blanket up to my shoulders. I began to think of my conversation with Genos earlier, causing a very small, almost unnoticeable smile to form on my face.

"Damn that store clerk." I mutter under my breath. Today was the day of a big blowout sale at Sensei's favorite store that he had been looking forward too. It was over 50% off on most store items. But, with my own chores and multiple calls from the Hero Association, I had been five minutes late and missed the sale. Sensei was going to be disappointed, but I was sure he would understand. "Excuse me." A small, female voice states behind me. I turn around, expecting to see another young girl to ask for my autograph, but was surprised to see Eri staring up at me. "Eri?" I asked in a shocked voice. "Genos?" She asks back, clearly just as surprised as me. "What are you doing here?" I ask, slightly happy to see her again. "I heard about the sale and decided to stock up on food." She replies, lightly raising her arms that were full of bags with different foods and drinks. "I was supposed to get food for my Sensei, but I was five minutes late to the sale." I growl slightly. She remained silent for a moment before pushing the bags into my hand. "Here." She states simply. "What?" I ask, shocked. "You clearly need these more than I do. I'll buy more at the next sale." She tells me, adjusting her worn out hat on her head. "I couldn't..." I began, but she cut me off. "I insist. I didn't need it that bad anyway." She begins to walk away. "Wait!" I state, not being able to stop myself. "Hm?" She turns back to look at me. I don't know why I stopped her. I didn't mean to shout. "I was wondering... If you would maybe help me fight." I ask, kinda lamely. She gave me a confused look. "You're a Class S hero aren't you?" She asks. "Yes, but when I saw you take down that monster the other day, I was wondering if you could perhaps teach me." She thinks for a moment before shrugging. "Sure. I'm free tomorrow if you want." A surge of happiness runs through my body as I point up to the mountains. "Meet me in the clearings of Hirohashi Mountain at 3." I tell her. She nods. "It's a date." She states and walks away. I smile slightly as I walk back home. As I enter the apartment, my Sensei, Saitama, was sitting on the couch, watching TV and picking his nose with his pinky finger. "Greetings Sensei." I state, setting the bags that Eri gave me down on the counter. "Oh, hey Genos." He states, looking at me. "Huh, you made it." He says, almost surprised. But seeing as he lost all human emotions, I can only say almost. "Yes, the sale was almost over by the time I had gotten there." I lie, trying to avoid telling him about Eri. If I had told him I was planning to go train with another, he may feel betrayed. "By the way Sensei, Dr. Kuseno would like me to come in for a maintenance check tomorrow at around 3." I tell him, taking the items out of their bags. "Oh, ok. Just as long as you're back before 6. The association wants to talk to all Class S heroes about that new villain running around. The Biter or something." "The Slasher Sensei." I correct. According to the association, there were 15 victims that had fallen to this villain, who they decided to name after their favorite method of killing: Slashing or stabbing their victims. There were two new suspects found about two days ago. "Yes Sensei. I'll return home at 5:30." I reassure him. Once I had put most of the items away, I used the remaining items that were out to cook a small dinner for both me and Sensei. I glance up at the clock, noticing it only read 7. The sun was barely starting to set, it's light casting a beautiful fiery red color across the sky. I stare out to the Hirohashi Mountain, feeling another wave of happiness surge through me. I wasn't going to lie, I was excited to see Eri tomorrow, though I wasn't sure why. I never really liked people, not even when I was human. But there was something... different about her. Though, I couldn't place my finger on what.