wilford/eric derickson pt 1

(Hi! Ive always noticed a lack of eric derickson on here, so I may as well be the one to write it! He's such a cute, anxiety ridden lil bean that I had to make him the first story. Plus, the overly-confident and bubbly wilford warfstache is such an opposite to him, that they seem to make a great pair in my mind. Opposites attract, right? I sure hope so! Anyways, I hope you enjoy my story! Thanks for reading this, by the way!)

*Eric's POV*
The restaurant I sat in was so cramped, I felt as though I couldnt breathe. Looking around, the people seemed to be so content in this setting- something I couldn't understand whatsoever. I felt myself coil in towards my torso, trying to take up as little space as humanly possible. Why can they be so happy here? Theyre all laughing and talking to their dates... if only mine had shown up. Id been stood up many times, being shy as I am, but Im still not used to it quite yet- it still hurt. I sighed, sipping my drink and doubting myself. Something startled me out of my daze- a hand had tapped me on the shoulder. A flicker of hope spread through my mind- maybe he came! Maybe I hadn't been stood up after all! As soon as my hope had began, it sputtered, coughed and died even quicker. It wasn't my date, it was some strange man, with bubblegum pink hair and a strange pink moustache. In fact, the more I looked this man over, the stranger he seemed. He was wearing a reflective yellow shirt with suspenders, and the smell of bubblegum seemed to radiate off of him. Despite his odd style choices, it seemed to almost suit him somehow, especially with how he held himself so confidently. I looked back up at his face, and my own went red. I had been staring at him for a while now.

"Well hello there!- Now now, dont be all shy for staring, I get it a lot, dont ya be worrying." The strange man chuckled, and his voice was so deep and almost- comforting?- It resonated through my bones like no other sound I'd ever heard. His smile was crooked, but somehow not in a bad way. Every one of his odd features seemed to suit him, in a way that I couldn't  describe. I found myself smiling back, and shook his outstretched hand. "H-hi! Sorry-" My voice trembled as it always had, and I mentally slapped myself for it. I must seem so awkward to such a confident person like this man. He smiled brighter, and gestured to the chair sitting across from me. "May I join you, good sir?" I hesitantly nodded, seeing as my date was obviously not going to be showing up tonight. "Been stood up by some woman?" This strange man seemed empathetic, rather than pitying like most people were towards me. It was a refreshing change- so I decided to try out talkong to him. "M-man, actually. And yes, he- he mustve stood me up." I tried my best to smile, but it probably came off as obviously fake. I looked up at him to see him softly nodding. "Well, he seems like an asshole. May I have the honor of taking his place tonight? Oh, and the name's Wilford. Wilford Warfstache." My heart skipped a beat or two- did this gorgeous man really want to replace my date? Was he just pitying me? Doubt filled my mind, but I decided that this was the best I was going to get from tonight nonetheless, even if its out of pity. "S-sure! Id l-love that! And m-my name's Eric Derickson." I was shaking a bit, but that was fairly normal for me. He seemed to notice, despite my best efforts. "Are you doin' alright there? You seem a little- shaken up." He took my hand in his and my face flushed beet red. "Y-yes, I'm fine... just s-something that happens to me somet-times." I tried my best to force a smile, glancing around at the ever-growing crowd around us. My fear of crowds was really showing, I just wished I could hide. The room seemed to spin, I felt nausious. So many people were in here- what if they were talking about me? Mocking me? I knew my thoughts were irrational, but they were still there. So many people, so many voices echoing around the room. My mind started to fog and I felt dizzy, before looking at wilford to steady myself a bit.  Wilford wasn't taking my answer, though. "Do you need to leave?- We could get ya a comfy place to chill for a bit, ya look scared." He seemed to have genuine worry in his eyes, and I would take any excuse to leave this crowded place right now. "O-okay." Wilford nodded, my hand still in his as he tried to comfort me. He helped me out of my chair, and we went outside the restaurant. "Are ya sick? Or is it somethin' else?" I sighed, subconsiously leaning into his arm, which was steadying me by resting on my back. "Just a-an anxiety thing- I dont like crowds." To my surprise, he seemed to understand. He nodded, and even smiled softly. "I understand that, must be tough. Crowds can get scary sometimes- lets get outta the dark and cold." I smile, then realise we dont know where we are going. "W-where should we go?" Wilford thought for a minute, before answering. "Well, my home is down that road down there, I could make ya a cup of tea and getcha a blanket ta calm down a bit. I know thats a bit odd seeing as we've just met, but ya probably shouldn' be all lonesome in that state." I smiled, glad that I didnt have to be alone right now. I am scared of people, but for some reason, Wilford seemed so comforting to be around. "That sounds n-nice." I smiled genuinely, for the first time in quite a while. He seemed to notice, and made a contented little hum of approval. We started walking down the road that he had pointed down earlier, and I realised to was down the richer part of town. My eyes widened- was he rich? Would I be hanging out in a mansion? Wilford was so fascinating, I wanted to get to know all about this strangely handsome man. He had an arm over my torso, steadying me just in case. He seemed so protective over me, it made my cheeks flush even redder than they had been. Something in my mind just trusted him, Im not sure why. He just seems so genuine, so caring. It was refreshing, something I'd never had anyone be towards me before.