Chapter Ten: Don't Think Twice

"Sure you're all right?"

Harry turned to Remus and smiled up at him; they were standing just around the corner from the canteen, and Harry was due to meet Ron and Hermione for the first time since they had come to see him three days ago at the villa. "I'll be all right." Harry held a King Charles spaniel puppy in his arms, who had proven to be a worthy companion who was also exceptionally well-behaved over the past three days, whom Harry had called Andressa.

Remus nodded, reaching out and stroking Andressa behind her silken ear, and she immediately leaned into the touch. "The Board of Governors and Headmaster Dumbledore have all approved for you to have her with you at all times, provided that she stays on the leash, and doesn't make a mess of anything."

Harry nodded, pressing a kiss to the puppy's forehead. "I remember," he assured him. "I can't wait to see what Ron and Hermione think of her. Hermione has been doing lots of research on the breed. Did you know that Queen Victoria had a dog like this?"

"Yes, I believe he was called Dash," Remus replied thoughtfully with a smile. "All right, then. I have this evening free if you need me..."

"Wouldn't dream of it," Harry told him firmly. "Now that you're married, you're not using your rooms here anymore. Go home to Dora at the end of the night, like a good husband. She'll miss you otherwise."

Remus smiled. "You're sure?"

Harry nodded. "Positive." He leaned in, accepting Remus's hug, before breaking away from him and moving to bring Andressa into the canteen with him. He heard the commotion of conversation, suddenly silenced, as he stepped inside, and then the whispers began. Half, he was assuming, were about his kidnapping and why he was back at school so soon, and the other half had to have been about Andressa.

"Harry!" Hermione cried out then, rushing forward. However, instead of embracing him in her usual exuberant fashion, her eyes immediately latched onto Andressa. "Oh, hello there, you beautiful creature!" she cried out, petting her.

"She's adorable, mate," Ron put in, walking up behind Hermione. "Think we can come with you to walk her after dinner?"

Harry nodded. "Course you can. Andressa needs to socialize often and early. At least, that's what all the experts say."

Hermione relieved Harry of Andressa as he moved to sit down, before she handed her back to him and plunked down beside him. "Where are you feeding her?"

"Certain table scraps are tolerated, Hermione," he replied with a grin. "But, our headmaster says I've got to keep her food in our dorm room."

"Sounds all right to me, mate. Windows were invented for a reason," Ron told him.

Hermione cut a perfectly delectable piece of chicken and showed it to Harry. "Could she have a little taste of this?"

Harry nodded, inching Andressa forwards towards the treat, and the latter promptly gobbled up the mouthful she'd been given. "Good girl," Harry told her, pressing a kiss to her forehead. He then placed her on his lap, and she settled into sleep as he sanitized his hands and tucked into a sandwich for dinner.

Once dinner and dessert were completed, Headmaster Dumbledore got up and addressed the school, welcoming back past students, formally welcoming the new ones, and stated how pleased he was that Harry was now back safe. Harry flushed when the entire canteen erupted in applause for him, and hid his face in Andressa's fur. Once they were excused, Harry, Ron, and Hermione slipped out into the still-warm evening, with Harry gently setting Andressa onto the ground, to which the puppy began pulling him this way and that, wanting to establish territory immediately, but also to smell everything there was to smell.