Burning cold - Legolas

Warnings: -
Word count: 1507
Other: -
Requested by IrisCyber

Being a wyr, a woman who can control ice is not the easiest cross to carry. All wyrs, especially females, are targeted as they are believed to be dangerous, but your kind only uses your powers when threatened. You manage to lose your brooch, but luckily, a friend is there to help.

You couldn't believe your luck. You had lost your brooch. Not only it was the last thing your mother had ever gifted you, but it was also the one thing that helped you stay alive in the warm environment you were in. You were on your way to the edge of Mirkwood to seek help from your friend. Your hair was tied securely and your hood pulled deeply onto your head to cover your abnormally light, almost white hair, and ice-blue eyes. Hopefully, it was enough to keep your identity hidden from any people you might meet. You didn't feel like fighting, you didn't have your powers as your brooch was missing, and you were only decent with a sword.

You and Legolas had met as children when he had run away from home and met you on the outskirts of the forest, and you had stayed friends since. You had sent him a letter explaining your situation a month ago, and he had promised to meet you at the elven gate. You could already see the gate, and you added more speed to your gait, hoping to be there first, so you could rest in the cool shade at least for a moment. You didn't want him to see how weak you were.

But it seemed luck was not on your side as you spotted his blonde hair amongst the trees as you approached, and when he heard your labored breathing he turned around, and his face lit up. He had missed you terribly, you hadn't been able to meet for such a long time as his princely duties had become heavier and the world was growing more and more hostile towards wyrs every year. He worried for you,
he had grown to care for you deeply, his feelings had grown into something more than friendship when the two of you had grown up.

When you reached the shadow of the forest, Legolas darted to you, wrapping his arms around you, and lifted you up from the ground to a tight hug. His heart was pounding, he was so close to you, and he wanted nothing more than to kiss you.
"I missed you so much!" He mumbled against your skin. It was cool, but as Legolas placed you down he realized it was warmer than it had ever been before.
"I missed you too." There was a slight waver in your tone and his eyes sought the brooch, the one that held your powers, and he was horrified to see that it was missing. His eyes flew into your eyes that seemed to have lost some of their blue hues, now they had a slightly gray undertone to them.

As you began to walk, Legolas immediately asked where your brooch was and you, slightly hesitantly, told him the story. You had been ambushed by a group of men, who had realized that you were a wyr rather than a normal human. You had managed to fight them off, and you had run away from them as fast and hard as you could.

When you finished your story, the sun was high in the air and you were sweating profusely, fighting to keep up with Legolas. You felt the warm air sucking away the remaining specks of your energy. It didn't take Legolas long to notice how weak of a shape you were in, and he made you stop at a small village, despite your protests. You wanted to find your brooch as quickly as possible, and with Legolas with you, it wouldn't take long. That was good, as even if you could survive without your brooch but life without it wasn't living, as you would become so weak that you wouldn't even be able to lift your hands and all you would be able to do is lay down in bed.

You managed to find a room in an inn in a busy small village not so far away. It only had one bed, but you made do with what you got. Sleeping on the same bed with you made Legolas' heart pound, but he tried to keep his exterior cool.
"So you were on the edge of Fangorn forest when you lost it?" Legolas looked to you in confirmation and you nodded numbly.
"We'll go there first." You yawned and nodded again.
"Maybe you should get some sleep. You don't look very good." Legolas muttered and you let out a tired laugh.
"Always the charmer, aren't you Legolas." The elf flushed slightly, the tips of his ears getting a reddish tint.
"I-I didn't mean-" Your laughter cut him off.
"I know you didn't. Good night." You pressed your head into the pillow and closed your eyes. In a matter of minutes, you were asleep.

Legolas laid down next to you, resisting the urge to wrap his arm around you. You seemed so peaceful when you were sleeping, your eyelashes spreading onto your pale cheeks and your mouth pulled into a small pout. That was the moment he realized how much he truly cared for you. He swore to himself that he would tell you how he felt when your brooch was found.

- - -

The task turned out to be more difficult than the two of you thought, but in the two weeks you had been traveling now, you had managed to find a lead where your brooch was. A merchant had it, but the problem was, he moved from one city to another quickly, so tracking him down was a challenge. The last tile, you had missed him by two days in Osgiliath.

Now, you were limping towards Rohan, where, according to rumor, the merchant was going next. You hoped to beat him to it, but with your injured leg and the Sun shining brightly on you, staring at your strength, the odds of making it before him thinned with every passing day.
Legolas was worried and he felt guilty. He hadn't been fast enough to save you from the orc, and now you had a beeping wound on your left leg. It didn't help the situation, as the unusually warm weather strained your strength. Legolas had hoped that the merchant would head north, towards colder weather, but he was heading south, differing from his route every now and then.

- - -

You reached Rohan two days later, and according to the people, the merchant would arrive tomorrow or the day after it. You two rented a room from an inn, with separate beds this time.
"What will you do when we find my brooch?" You sat on the edge of the bed, swinging your legs off the edge of it. Legolas stiffened. He hadn't even thought about it, his mind had been so focused on you. He hadn't even thought about separating from you after the brooch was found. In his mind, the two of you would continue together even after it was found.
"Uh... I haven't given it much thought." He muttered, and let out a small, fake, laughs. You frowned but decided not to prod anymore.
"I just wanted to thank you for doing this. I could have made it if it wasn't for you." Legolas waved his hand dismissively.
"It was nothing. What are friends for, right?" Legolas flashed you a smile, and you returned it, shifting closer to him.
"But still." You leaned closer to him to kiss his cheek, but he shifted to face you and your lips landed on his lips instead of his cheek.

You froze but recovered quickly, and pulled away, opening your mouth to apologize, but you closed it when you saw Legolas' expression. It wasn't angry, he wasn't disgusted. He looked... Happy? You stared at each other, not moving, but when your eyes met again, both of you leaned forward, colliding your lips again. The kiss started as slow, but it got feverish quickly. When you pulled away, panting slightly, you looked at each other for a moment before you burst out laughing.
"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that," Legolas muttered, still chuckling.
"I think I do." You leaned in again for another kiss, this one slower, more passionate, and filled with love. You pulled away only when cheering could be heard from outside.
"I think the merchant had arrived."

- -

You and Legolas continued on from Rohan, hand in hand and laughing. The brooch glittered on your chest as the two of you made your way towards the Wyr kingdom in the mountains in the north.

Yes, this request done! I'm slowly rising from the pit that some call writer's block.
Edited on 9.12.2022