Chased away - Thranduil/Legolas

Warnings: Abandonment
Word count: 2184
Other: Baby Legolas!
Requested: no

Thranduil swore never to love again, but he fell in love with the nanny of his son. When she gets pregnant, he makes a hasty decision and regrets it.

You watched as Legolas attacked his small wooden elf figurines with a dragon, and made them fall down.
"Dragon! Archers take position!" He lifted his elves up again and arranged them into a formation, pretending that they shot arrows at the beast. He crashed the dragon out of the sky, dropping it to the ground. He then ran to you, excitement glimmering in his eyes.
"Y/N, did you see? They killed the dragon!" You nodded, moving his blonde hair out of his face.
"I did, darling. But now we have to go to get you to bed now, your father is waiting for me." Your heart fluttered as you mentioned the king, Legolas' father, and your lover. You had kept the relationship a secret as Thranduil feared Legolas and the kingdom might think Thranduil was trying to replace his mother and the queen. You had never tried replacing the late queen, you only wanted both of them to be happy. Thranduil knew that. Or at least you thought he did.

You had been the happiest you had ever been for the past few years. When you had gotten over the feeling that you weren't good enough for Thranduil, your relationship started truly developing. But the happiness didn't last long. You started getting sick and feeling exhausted and went to see a healer about it as it worried Legolas. The young elf was greatly attached to you, and he didn't like it when you were sick. The healer dropped a bomb on your head. You were pregnant. And there was only one elf that could be the father.

"My lord?" Knocking on the door, you opened it and saw that the king was sitting next to his desk, writing something on a piece of parchment. When you entered, he lifted his gaze and his face melted into a small smile.
"Y/N. What brings you here?" You managed to smile a little and closed the door behind you.
"I just put Legolas to bed. I-. I need to talk to you." You felt your breathing hitching when his cold blue eyes landed on you.
"What is it?" He stood up, worried that something was wrong.
"I am-. I am-." You swallowed. This was it.
"I am with child. Your child."

Silence.
"Leave." You stiffened at Thranduil's words.
"W-What?" You couldn't believe your ears.
"Leave. I want you out of this kingdom by midnight." With that, Thranduil stood and left the room, leaving you standing there, heart shattered into hundreds of pieces. You managed to hold your tears in until you made it to your room. Once the door closed behind you, the tears started. You fell to your knees and sobbed into your hands, the feeling of heartbreak, of not being enough filled you, and for a while, you just sat there, crying, tears running freely down your cheeks. You thought he had loved you but it had all been a lie.

It wasn't. It tore Thranduil's heart to pieces to chase you away. But he had no other choice. The kingdom would not accept another queen, not so soon after his wife's passing. He also couldn't face Legolas and tell him that he was going to have a brother or a sister. But they had a different mother. He couldn't have his son thinking his mother had been forgotten. She wasn't. Even the thought of her made Thranduil's heart feel empty, and now that you were gone, there was no one to fill the void. Thranduil wasn't the same from the day you left. He closed off, shutting out his son and everyone else. He began spending most of his time in his study or his bedroom, and he rarely ever walked around the kingdom just to see the people like he used to.

- - - -

It was the eve of the Feast of Starlight, but Thranduil was not in a celebratory mood. He rarely was anymore. Legolas, now a grown elf, skilled with a bow, sword, and dagger, walked to his father as he was drinking a goblet of wine. Who knows how many he had already?
"Adar (father), I think you have had enough wine for the night. Perhaps it would be best if you retired to your chambers." Legolas suggested, and after a moment of pondering, Thranduil seemed to agree. He poured the last drops down his throat and stood up. Legolas was quite impressed by how steadily he stood after so much wine.