Happiest days - Haldir

Warnings: childbirth
Word count: 1716
Other:

The happiest days of Haldir's life: your wedding day, the day he learns he will be a father, and the day he becomes one. 

Silk ribbons hung from the trees, highlighting the gorgeous autumn colors of Lothlorien. You were standing in front of a mirror, twirling in circles and admiring how the hem of your dress followed your movements. Lady Galadriel had been right, it was the right dress for you, even if you had been hesitant in the beginning. The pure white fabric and the silk infused with diamonds were something that would gather attention, and you preferred not to gather attention to yourself. But Galadriel had reminded you that most eyes would be on you either way, as you were the bride (her comment didn't help the situation), as it was the march warden's (and yours, of course) wedding. 

You checked the braids in your hair for the hundredth time, making sure the yellow and orange crown was still neatly in place. It was a gift from King Thranduil. He had heard of the wedding and upon hearing that it was happening in autumn, he had wanted to show his support. And Haldir had a good relationship with the king from the days he used to deliver messages to Lady Galadriel. 

You were surprised by how calm you were feeling. The crowds unnerved you, sure, but you were too excited to marry the love of your life. You knew that the moment you would lay your eyes on him, the feeling would go away. 

Poor Haldir, on the other hand, was a mess. He had never been the best with emotions. He still couldn't believe you had agreed to marry him. You were an odd match, the hardened march warden and a quiet poet that spent most of her day reading, but it worked, and you were happy. You would read him stories and poems as you sat in the library. In return, he would tell you stories of the battles he had fought and the places he had seen while traveling middle-Earth. 

Haldir was shifting nervously, waiting for you to enter the hall from the massive wooden doors. Everyone was sitting down, silent, waiting. The doors opened, letting in a golden glow of light. A gasp ran through the crowd. When Haldir saw you in the dress you were wearing, so white it was glowing and the small diamonds glittering in the hem, a long train trailing behind you, tears filled his eyes. You were so beautiful, and the small, slightly nervous smile calmed his nerves as you made your way to him. At that moment, nothing else mattered but you two. He couldn't remember a day when he had been happier. 

- - - -

Your heart was hammering in your chest as you left the healer's room. Pregnant. If you were pregnant, the child would be here in little over eleven months (elven pregnancies take a full year). You were ecstatic (of course), as well as nauseated, but that was probably the smell of the leather of the -. You sprinted to the nearest bathroom to throw up. There were a lot of smells the little one didn't like. You had been throwing up because of pungent smells for a while now, and it had unnerved Haldir greatly, as sickness was one of the few things he couldn't chase away from you with his sword. 

Slightly nervous, you made your way into the room you knew Haldir liked to give orders in before they headed out on patrol. You had to hurry if you wanted to reach him before he left the kingdom for the evening patrol. You couldn't wait to tell him, even if you were quite nervous. You hadn't conversed about having children.

You made it just as they were about to head out.
"Haldir?" You called for him, and he appeared in full armor, sword strapped to his hip.
"Beloved, what are you doing here?" Haldir bent down to kiss your forehead, and you smiled into his chest. Haldir had a tough exterior and the only one that could get through it was you. 
"I just need to speak with you. Would it be possible if someone else went instead of you?" You asked shyly, and Haldir nodded slowly, getting slightly nervous. He knew you went to see the healer this morning. Was there something wrong?