08

"quotes are for dumb people who can't think of something intelligent to say on their own."
- bo burnham

Alexei jumps onto my bed, grinning. "How you feeling, cuz?" he asks teasingly.

"I don't think you understand how much I dislike you," I say, my voice scratchy as I force it through my sore throat.

"Oh, I know." He grins and reaches an arm around to ruffle my hair.

I glower at him, smacking his hand away. "Sometimes, I can't believe we're related."

"Really?" Kaia asks as she walks in. "Because I can see it."

"Says the person who had no idea we were cousins despite knowing us for years," Alexei says drily.

Kaia shrugs. "I didn't actually know you because I never talked to you. Besides, how was I supposed to know? You and Cas never even talked to each other."

Alexei and I look at each other before glancing back at Kaia. "We're literally on the news together."

"I don't watch the news," she says in the same tone.

Alexei sighs and wraps an arm around her. "Sometimes, you worry me."

I smile as I watch her watch him.

They were one of the few people that made me believe that maybe, just maybe, love was okay.

I couldn't deny the fact that I loved people too. I loved Alexei and Kaia. My mother. Beth.

But not in a way where I would be utterly lost if I lost them. Not the way that Alexei was whenever they got into a fight.

Beth waltzes in with a bowl of ice cream, closely followed by Gary. "How are you feeling?" she asks me. The first time that question has been asked sincerely.

"Dying," I say honestly. "Why are you all here again?"

"We're here to watch Disney movies with you!" Kaia says cheerfully. I see both Beth and Gary nod excitedly while Alexei simply sighs hopelessly.

"What if I just want to die alone?" I question.

Kaia shrugs. "You're going to have to die alone with Aladdin singing A Whole New World in the background."

"Why would I be watching that if I was alone?"

"Well..." She thinks for a moment. "You'd be alone within a one inch radius."

Gary comes around and ruffles my hair. I know that I should move away, but I don't.

"Wait, so he gets to play with your hair, but I can't?" Alexei complains. "You could at least be fair."

Gary laughs. "Yeah, well, we can all tell who he favors more."

"This was a competition?" I ask.

"It is now."

. . .

"I'm gonna take a walk," I announce after managing to shove everyone off of me. "And when I come back, y'all better not be having another pillow fight."

Gary pouts. "Why you gotta do that to us?"

"Because I like my pillows," I whine. "I'd like to come home to my pillows being intact."

"Are you sure you should be walking outside? It's cold and you might get sicker," Beth says, worried. "At least wear a jacket."

I smile at Beth's sweetness. "I'll be fine, mom."

She looks at me disapprovingly, and I laugh before reaching over and grabbing the thickest jacket I have laying out. "Better?"

Beth nods, grinning. "I'll make sure your pillows survive."

"Thanks, love." I wave before hurrying out of the mansion, and into the night air. The chill clears my head and also sends me into another coughing episode.

I hated getting sick like this. It felt like what I imagined an asthma attack to feel like. Where I would be struggling to pull in air, but couldn't seem to breathe.

"Why is it that we always seem to meet when you look you're dying?" an amused voice asks from behind me.

I whip around in surprise and he laughs while also muttering a word under his breath.

"You weren't at school today," I say.

"You weren't either," he says, smiling.

I raise an eyebrow. "How would you know that?"

"I pay attention." Eliott leans against a nearby wall. "Sick?"

I nod. "What's your excuse?"

"I wasn't feeling well either," he replies.

"You don't look sick."

He chuckles. "I'm always sick. Just some days more so than others."

"So why do you ever show up to school?"

Eliott's smile widens. "It's the law. We live in America, non?"

"You skip way too many days to even be passing," I point out. "And I haven't seen you the whole year until three days ago."

He chuckles. "Then maybe you need to up your observation skills, Figueroa."

"Maybe," I say. I scan his features for any reason as to why he was here. "Do you live around here?"

Eliott nods and points around the corner. "It's only about five minutes away. I was just taking a walk, and thought I saw you."

I nod. "You should go to school more," I say, trying to break the silence that had settled between us. It was strange talking to him.

Most people I could read as easily as a book, but his emotions were almost impossible to see. He always seemed to react with quiet amusement, but I doubted that he really was.

"Really?" He smirks. "I don't think you'd want to see me the days I don't show up."

"Why not?"

My eyes get attracted to his finger that insistently tapped the stone wall behind him. "Lets say I'm not always in control. And when I'm not in control, I end up hurting people."

Seeing my confused look, he laughs. "I refuse to explain it any further." His face was flushed from the cold, the tip of his nose tinged with red. Again, I found myself unable to read him.

"What are you thinking about?" I blurt out.

Eliott gives me a sad smile. "I'm thinking that I'm going to make a big mistake. And you know, a part of me knows I won't regret it."

. . .

idk why but i love eliott. he's a really cute character in my mind.

thanks for reading! if you enjoyed, please vote, leave a comment and i'll see ya later!

- Jells ❤️