Rose's Court

I shut my eyes. I felt something absorbing me and I felt a gush of sharp wind slash against my skin and then, again, I felt the calm steady air again, I tore my eyes open. The night sky stretched over me like a black curtain decorated with dots of lights. The wind whistled and played with strands of my hair.

 The sky was crystal clear without any sign of clouds instead of the bright full moon proudly stood over the large crowd of participants. The silver-grey moon blazed brightly like a burning fire and it blinded me like fire. It illuminated the whole open court. The tall gray marble walls reached up to the sky and it surrounded us, trapping us into this place. There was no escape except for the large entrance at the back

. There was a carpet of green grasses that looked like swords and daggers. Amongst the dark green there were specks of red roses which soon crawled up to the wall staining the wall with red paint like blood. The strong smell of roses and wet grass stabbed my nose blurring all my senses like a dangerous toxic. Between the roses there were its ominous thorns which stood proudly showing their sharp teeth, ready to bite anyone who came near.

Then across the court there firmly stood an iron throne. It stood tall and proud glistening in the dark, reflecting the moon’s light. It looked as if it was made out of the finest iron and steel.

Even from this distance, I could see the golden carvings on the throne shimmering in the light. There were some writings with angry jagged edges and some with soft, calm curves. Despite good knowledge of languages, I did not know what it meant and I was extremely glad.

Something about this writing was not right and was dark like a shadow lurking in the corners. But whatever the writing meant the throne was a reminder and a sign for everyone. Reminding them of the purpose of the game.

Only one could be the winner. Only one could claim the prize. Only one.

And most of all I hated that reminder. Amongst the sea of hope that sign, that reminder was like a storm which could destroy every speck of hope.

That reminder always told me that the wish was not something for free. That reminder told me that I had to be the first among all the participants to change my life. Was I truly ready for it? Was I ready to step on every participant to get to the top?

I held my breath. Sweat trickled down my forehead and my heart raced faster and faster. The tension did not let go of me, there were too many participants. Could I be the lucky one? I wondered. I would be very lucky if I even survived the first round. I just had to wish that everyone would fail.

My mouth was dry and I felt dizzy. The people in front of me blurred with the sky and my legs fiercely shook.

I was in desperate need of water.

I quickly pushed through the crowds and swam through them dodging to side to side trying not to bump and knockdown. Finally, I could see the walls again as I ducked the last barrier between me and the wall. I felt as If I had swum out of the water, I could breathe again, I inhaled the fresh night air again. I blinked my eyes to comprehend what was in front of me.

To my chagrin, there were cups filled with water. It was probably for thirsty participants. At least there was something good in this hellish place. With sudden joy and excitement, I urgently grabbed the cup and lifted it to my face and was about to drop it into my mouth until a warning voice halted me.

"You might not want to drink that." Two figures appeared behind me. I crinkled my eyes and one had a figure of a man while right next to him was a woman.

They both had similar features. They had the most stunning dark green eyes like a bright emerald. Their hair was nothing I had seen before. It was neat, shiny brownish-red not quite red but not so brown. They both wore pure white like the feather of a dove, which fitted their body like magic showing his strong muscles and her perfect curves.