Leaving Home

For dinner we had soup and buttered bread. For the first five minutes we sat in silence, enjoying out meal and welcoming the warmth of the room. Jacob ate his soup with caution. I squeezed his hand under the table to reassure him. He smiled slightly and continued to eat. Young Jacqueline notices the unusual behavior of her brother and speaks up. "Momma, why is Jacob acting like that?" She asked, her head slightly tilted. "Well, I, um..." Mum stuttered unsure of how to reply. Luckily the three-year-old was distracted by the cornbread my father handed to her.

After dinner our parents called everyone into the living room for a family meeting. I was curious to know what it was about. I led Jacob into the living room and sat on the floor near the fireplace. Papa was seated on a stool while Mother was in her rocking chair with Jacqueline curl into a ball on her lap. Papa cleared his throat. "We have been contemplating this for a while now, and we have decided that we will finally move west. Jacob stiffens beside me.

"You're joking right? He just lost his eye sight three days ago and you want to head west? At a time like this?" I questioned his sanity.

"Honey I know this is sudden but we've been planning this for weeks," Mum said in a soft tone.

I hate when she uses that voice on me. I grumbled in disapproval. I mean seriously, could they not halt it for at least a week? Papa started going on about how good it would be for the family. Although it was rude, I cut him off.

"Good for us, what could possibly be good about moving now? To uproot us from our home, to take Jacob through land while he has no idea senses before riding off into the wilderness! I can't believe you would spring this on us after everything that's happened."

Jacob set his head down on my lap and I stroked his hair softly. He always knows how to calm me down. I watched him close his eyes as a content smile appears on his face. With a sigh I turned to face my parents again. "When are we leaving?" I inquire.

"Tomorrow," said Papa.

"Are you kidding me?" Jacob and I said in union. Jacob sat up, and looked in the direction of Papa.

"We planned to leave today last week," Papa stated.

"So now you decide to tell us the day before?" I'm angry now.

"Honey-Bear, it's for the best."

"Don't you Honey-Bear me!" I growled.

"Come on Janet, I'm tired." I glanced at my brother, my anger slowly dissipated. I took him by the arm and led him into his room. While he searched for his bed, I grabbed his clothes out of his drawer. I pulled his shirt over his head, then slipped on a cotton shirt. He began to grumble about doing it himself. I simply laughed at him and proceeded to fix his bed for him to sleep in. He slid into bed and pulled the covers up to his chin. I turned off the lamp and kissed his forehead. He pushed me away and grumbled once again. This time about not being a baby. I treated him like this before he was blind so it wasn't that new.

I walked into my room and changed into my night gown. I hate this thing; I don't see why I can't wear pants to bed like Papa and Jacob. I pulled the covered back and got beneath them. Looking at the ceiling, I sigh. I guess it wouldn't be bad to move. I blow out the candle and drift into a dreamless sleep.