A Hero

I woke up to tough grass scratching my back. Midknight was trying to drag me back to the others. I never thought she could be a rescue horse. The pain once again returned to my back as I cough and sit up quickly. The sun was just rising to the east. The sky was a gentle peach color which fading into blue. Midknight stopped holding me by my shirt and began to whine.

I gave her a small smile. I fought to stand but fell, hissing from the pain. Grunting I tried again, I managed to stand by leaning on Midknight. I walked to her side and slowly got on the saddle. Leaning over to catch my breath, I urged him forward. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on something other than the pain in my back.

My train of thought was broken by a shout. I looked up and saw my family in the distance. Mum began to run towards us. By this time, I was extremely exhausted and could barely keep my eyes open. I slid off my horse and hold on to her. She stayed completely still, as if knowing of much pain I was in. I began to cough. My throat burned and the air couldn't seem to reach my lungs.

I fell to my knees and breathed in deeply. Nothing was working, I didn't know what to do. Suddenly, warm arms wrapped themselves around me as my ears are filled with the sound of my mother's sobbing. More arms wrapped around me and I finally got my breathing back to normal. It felt great to be back with my family; but someone was missing.

Jacob. I looked up to see him looking around wildly. I laughed and cried at the same time. I ran towards him ignoring the pain in my back. We fell to the ground when I collided with him. He laughed and hugged me tightly. I slowly stood, as he stood up, Papa, Mother, and Jacqueline reached us. Jacob felt for the top of my head before slapping it, hard.

"What was that for?" I huffed.

"That was for being stupid," he stated.

"You are a pain you know that?" I grumbled.

He then slapped me again jokingly, only this time, it's right in the middle of my back. I gasped and dropped down to my knees. Mother rushed over and laid my head in her lap. Jacob looked around wondering where I had disappeared to. I closed my eyes, my jaw clenched. I can hear my name being called from a far. I opened my eyes and saw Papa looking down on me. He begs me to tell him what is wrong. "My back," I manage to say before I pass out.

I woke up on my stomach with an arm around my shoulders. I turned my head to see Jacob next to me, his arm wrapped protectively over my body. I squirmed uncomfortably; by back was beginning to hurt again. My groans woke him from his slumber. He quickly shot up and felt beside him. Realizing I was still there, he relaxed a bit. Then he frowned.

"Janet?"

"Yes," I mumbled into the blankets we were laying on.

"What is wrong? Why did you pass out like that?"

I sighed. "When Midknight got scared by the lightning I fell off and landed on my stomach. While she was freaking out, her back hooves landed on my back."

"That must have been terrible, did it hurt?"

"Still does," I grunted.

He lifted me up and sat me on his lap. Kissing my forehead, he began rub his hand up and down my back. He whispered sweet words of praise and comfort into my ears. I sighed and relaxed into his arms, slowly drifting off into a peaceful sleep.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

"And that's how I ended up having back pains," I say to my little sister Johanna. A year later after settling right where I had saved my brother, Jacob's vision healed and Mother had a girl. She let me name her as an award for saving her first born. At first I refused, saying it was her child. Then she said that if I didn't she would let Jacqueline do whatever she wanted with my things. That was not happening, ever. I decided to at least keep the names starting with the letter J. She's 3 now, sweet kid.

She loves it when I tell her the story as to why I can't move around sometimes. She always tells me how brave I was. I'm happy that I'm a role model for children, especially my sisters. I even told the tale for a school once, since Jacqueline wouldn't stop going on about it. Though some days are hard, I am glad I have a loving family to back me up. 

A/N: Wow, I just realized that the book is actually finished. Though it's more like a story rather than a book. Well, I hope you guys like it! I've decided to enter it in the Watty Awards, wish me luck!

Peace out Peeps!