Chapter Eight: Hot Cheetos and an Ice Man

Late again, I know. I'm sorry. It's just, I've got so many things going on with work and school and what I want this story to be like... it's a lot sometimes and I get distracted. But I'm going to keep trying to make my Friday deadline. 

Thank you for sticking with this story, and being patient. 

Please remember to vote and comment, I love reading what you guys think!

--VIVKELLER23

--------------------

Teagan

Teagan did have Gavin run three laps around half the soccer field, but he ended up treating the boy to a quick snack from the liquor store right around the corner right after practice. The rebel chose Flamin' Hot Cheetos and a coke.

"So," Gavin began, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand as they sat at one of the picnic tables outside the small store. "What's the deal with that girl? She doesn't look like the type to throw herself at you for the usual."

Teagan felt a mixture of admiration and disbelief that the boy knew enough about Teagan's typical hookups to know what "the usual" meant. "You're too nosy for your own good," Teagan told him with a shake of his head.

"Grandma said no decent girl is ever going to take you seriously when you finally want to settle down," Gavin pointed out. He wiggled his eyebrows mockingly as he shoved a handful of cheetos into his mouth. "Said the right girl is gonna make you growvel."

"Grovel," Teagan corrected. "She's not the first one to think so, either."

The rascal shrugged. "Well, whatever it means, she said it was going to be painful for you."

Teagan's eyes narrowed at the spark of amusement he saw in the young boy's obsidian eyes. He didn't look too concerned at the thought of his soccer coach of no less than four years being in pain. Bloodthirsty Minion!

"I'm touched your Grandma is so concerned about me."

"Nah, she's concerned about the girl that gets tangled up with you," Gavin stated, matter-of-factly. Then the boy turned accusing eyes on him, looking fiercely protective. "I really hope that girl isn't gonna be Miss Sugary Rain."

Teagan winced. Four years of coaching never prepared you for that. He didn't think he had the adequate vocabulary to explain to Gavin what exactly the Ice Queen was to him, but he could tell the little boy wanted to understand the gist of it. But what could he say when he didn't know what they were himself?

He didn't think they could be considered friends yet, but anything less than that seemed too vague a classification for them.

And he couldn't deny he would like them to be so much more.

Teagan sighed, trying to approach the boy's accusation as sensitively as possible without ruining the trust bond between the two of them. "I really like Rain, and I don't remember ever wanting to be around someone just because until I met her."

Gavin didn't look too pleased with his answer. "Is that just because you haven't slept with her?"

Who in the heck was teaching the rascal to ask those questions? Teagan coughed in an effort to disguise his shocked laughter before he tried to answer again. "I don't think your Grandma wants you to go around asking that."

"But do you like her enough to not mess up?" Gavin pressed, shoving his half empty coke bottle away to set his elbows on the table. "I mean, I've never seen a girl like you enough to give you a ride anywhere. Well, anywhere but the bedroom is what Greta says."