Chapter Thirty-Two: Lying and Truthing

Thank you all for checking out this story! Hope you like this new chapter!

-VIVKELLER23
————————-

Teagan

Back in high school, when he'd been a kid no one wanted in the foster system, he'd thought there was nothing more to life than surviving. For that moment in his life, that much had been true.

But he'd survived one of the darkest moments in his life only to realize there was so much more.

Shocking, right?

Not really. Teagan could remember moments in his life where food was the only thing on his mind because he hadn't known where his next meal was coming from. When his mother got sick all he worried about was not hoping too much. Too much hope would have killed him as surely as any bullet.

The night his father proved to be the worst kind of man on the planet, all that Teagan knew was rage. A need to settle a score that for years had gone unpaid.

The future? That had been for people who knew there was an end to the hell he'd stumbled into.

Who knew it would take him three semesters to decide on a career for the rest of his life? Not Teagan, that's for certain.

To top if all off, he was back to the one career he had been sure would be a complete waste of time for him.

The great big circle of life. What a waste of time.

Teagan shook his head, amazed that he was finally taking the next big step towards a future that at some point had become little more than a passing thought for him. Sure, he'd started attending college, but it hadn't been with a set goal in mind.

Then, it was just a way to prove to himself that he would be more than his father.

Now, it was a door to something unknown.

Like so many times before, Teagan strolled into the Counseling Center. However this time, his mind was made up. As he signed in at the front desk and winked at the elderly lady who greeted him, he took comfort in knowing he was finally ready.

Miss Romero was more than a little surprised to find him back in her office so soon after the last time. No more surprised than he was.

Teagan offered her a smile, feeling calm, his mind set for the first time since he'd first been asked to choose a major. "I think you'll be happy to know your guidance hasn't been a total failure," he told her.

The counselor chuckled. "It's my job, Teagan, to ensure you find something that interests you. Something that sparks a passion for you," she clarified. "I never considered it a waste of time."

I found it, alright. 

"Have you decided on what you want to do with the rest of your life then?" Miss Romero asked.

The question would have scared him off before. The rest of his life looked like nothing more than an existence full of misery. He realized that nothing really had changed enough for him to claim his life was different now. He'd simply gotten a new perspective, one he hadn't known he needed.

He wasn't going to wait around any longer for something he could change himself.

"Don't laugh." Teagan knew many wouldn't take his choice seriously, but he wanted to make sure at least one person heard him out before he became the butt of everyone's joke.

"Even if I wanted to, I think laughing at your expense would be unprofessional," she assured him.

"Okay." Teagan took a deep breath and simply cherished this new chapter in his life. "I want to connect with people. To make others understand things can be a lot better than they really are."