I/III

"Gluttony denotes, not any desire of eating and drinking, but an inordinate desire... leaving the order of reason, wherein the good of moral virtue consists."
Thomas Aquinas on Gluttony

London, June 7, 1896
My dear M.
It breaks my heart to leave you with merely these few scribbled words. I have pondered many sleepless nights on how best to describe the way I feel at this time of my life, and in the present circumstances. However, it is the right thing to do, and I pray that one day you will understand.
The world is changing. You know how much I love you, and how much I love my family as well. In that regard, I must do what is necessary to protect them and ensure a future to my daughter. One in which I cannot have you at my side. I must apologise for having deceived you today.
I will so confess in all sincerity: I am afraid. Afraid of what is coming. Afraid of the world my daughter will grow up in. A world of new, different values. A world where people like me may have to run and hide from the ungrateful masses; from those spitting words of ignorance and discontentment and anger.
A world you and I cannot share.
I would have preferred to say goodbye to you in person and look into your eyes one last time. But this was not possible. Today I left for Wiltshire, taking my family to our future residence that will, with God's help, stand tall and house my children and their children. I prefer not to disclose the location, knowing that you would come look for me. Please do not. Enclosed with this note is a modest sum that I entrust to you. Please use it to travel abroad and visit France, where hopefully your great talents will find space and opportunity to evolve further, as you have often told me.
I love you. And if you feel the same, then please understand how painful but necessary this is. I will let Clara know you send her your affection. May fortune smile upon you wherever you decide to go. You are a great artist and a great man. Much better than I have ever been. Do not share in my pain, nor my fears. Do not fear the world, but embrace it like I could never do.
E.

He read the letter one more time, just to make sure all his words were there and nothing was left unsaid

He read the letter one more time, just to make sure all his words were there and nothing was left unsaid. His heart was beating in his throat and all the sounds around him seemed distant but painful. A deep breath calmed him, if only for a moment.

The time was almost up. Twenty more minutes and the train would arrive, taking him away from it all. He dared a glance towards his wife and daughter, not far away. Agatha was smiling with confidence, entertaining some more pesky family friends and no doubt making sure they would be invited to dinner as soon as they would be settled. Clara, impatient and full of energy as always, did her best to escape her mother's tight grasp on her hand and run away from the boring conversations. Edwin smiled, looking at her enthusiasm. They would be safe, at least. Safe from the coming times.

He had found the manor after much searching and eventually one of his own clients recommended Lord Melvin's name to him. "A beautiful house" he said - countryside, open fields and fresh air, far away from the busy and dirty streets of London, packed full of unwashed sad individuals who seemed to excel in nothing but multiply their numbers. Edwin needed to get away so the premise seemed fantastic and the price reasonable. Lord Melvin, the owner, was very quick to reply to his letter, attaching a formal invitation for him and his family in order to complete the purchase and be formally welcomed. At least, Edwin thought, he knew how to treat business like a gentleman.