EPILOGUE

They met once again at sundown, near a great cathedral overlooking the waters of a crystal-white lake. A few people turned up for mass, then they all left as they came, one after the other, each to their own homes and completely oblivious to their future fate.

Melvin observed their passing, as he had done for many centuries. Yet this time it was different. He held the watch in his hand, its slow ticking a dangerous and troublesome noise. This time, he knew, he would be forced to join their fate and face oblivion. His children were dead, and with them died his plan.

"Hello brother." She said, walking towards him, her face hidden by a black umbrella. A few drops began falling down, almost following her arrival.

Melvin sat down on the small bench near the lake, adjusting his hat and behaving like the proper gentleman he was.

"Where is she? Where is the child?"

"Safe." Was her answer.

"We had a deal."

"Not from the moment when you ordered your underling to harm Clara."

"It is rude to lie to your own kin. It was you all along. Ever since the beginning."

"What are you talking about?"

"You used their emotions against me. You whispered in his ear, waking him up early that morning so that he could find his way to the manor. You left the music box for the child to find, knowing that you had no power within my house. But Solomon's mark inscribed on it helped you reach the child and destroy everything I had built." He explained, calmly. "You followed them unseen every step of the way, and led them to find my secret. So please, don't tell me you only intervened at the end."

She put away the umbrella, revealing her darkened expression. Their eyes met and there was no resentment. Only understanding.

"I will hurt you." Melvin said. "If I ever find the girl again, I will enjoy inflicting pain on her. And then I will make her mine, just like I did with Charles. Not because I need her, no. But to hurt you. To hurt you just like you hurt me."

"It was not my intention to destroy them, you know. I have no interest in your plans."

"If that was true then you would have stayed out of them! If only you would know how delicate the process was: choosing the right land to build the house, making sure the blood would survive, that the flows of energy would perfectly coincide with the location; then find the right person with the right desire. Edwin Gottsworth was that person."

"Perhaps you overestimated his desire. I saw something else in him. Something closer to... me."

"You may be right." Melvin smiled and got up. "It wasn't fear that killed them, after all. You know that?"

She remained silent, a sudden understanding cutting through her normally calm and peaceful expression.

"Yes." Melvin nodded. "Yes, indeed."

"I will... make amends."

"Oh, don't pretend to be so innocent. I would be very careful if I were you." He said sternly, then started to walk away.

After a few steps he stopped, then turned around, his eyes once again shining brightly and matching hers in all but colour. "You see, I enjoy spending time with them. With humans. I take great pleasure in understanding their customs, living among them, tasting their wines and, especially, their desires. You were right: if only I could feel this world like they do. But the others? Our brethren? They are not like me or you. And with the end approaching soon, some of them may be getting desperate. Be very careful with who you cross next, sister."