II/III

The stress coupled with exhaustion was no easy burden for Edwin, and he began to regret every second of what seemed like the most unnecessary and ridiculous of jokes. As Mortimer dragged him through the kitchen and in front of the open door to the cellar, he looked at him dumbfounded and forced a smile.

"The cellar? Are you sure? Aren't phantoms usually in the attic?" He asked, but saw no hint of humour in Mortimer's expression.

He looked sincerely scared and concerned, and part of Edwin only wished this would be nothing more than a jest, because he had long surpassed his limit for one day.

"Just follow me and watch your step."

The two men descended the tight staircase into the underground, where the unopened bottles of wine rested. Edwin marvelled at the amount left there, and only wondered how Lord Melvin could separate himself from such a valuable collection. He threw a glance over the damp room, but nothing was out of the ordinary, save perhaps the dust and dirt that Agatha would surely find concerning.

Mortimer was repeatedly pressing his hands against a wall in the back, seemingly looking for something that simply wasn't there.

"It must be here somewhere. You have to see it. It can't be gone."

Edwin approached and looked over the brick wall.

"Mortimer?"

"It must be here! It was here!" He shouted. "There was an opening and something behind it. Like a symbol of sorts."

"Mortimer." Edwin sighed. "I'm tired. I have no desire to discuss this any further. I'm sorry about shouting at you before. Let's get out of here and talk. You seem to be losing your mind."

"For God's sake, Edwin!"

He backed away from the wall, then knelt to the floor searching for something he couldn't even see in the darkness.

"This isn't about us. This place isn't safe."

"You have to go, Mortimer." Edwin said. His voice contained sadness and disappointment but also a final resolution he had come to accept. "You have to go. I'm sorry."

"And where should I go?" He asked, still knelt down, his face hidden by the shadows.

His fingers touched the dirty floor but found no cracks. A slight breeze seemed to be coming from beneath the very wall, and the smell persisted.

"Can we talk about this upstairs, please? Once you're done being silly."

Edwin turned around and moved away, leaving Mortimer down in the cellar in search of his fantasies. This took longer than he expected, as he waited upstairs for the next ten minutes, until finally Mortimer re-emerged, barely containing his anger.

"So now you think I am delusional."

"No, I think you're looking for any reason; any reason at all." Edwin responded. "I'm so sorry. I cannot give you one anymore. I will stay here. Please understand and stop making this harder for both of us."

Mortimer nodded and smiled.

"You can leave in the morning. Get some rest, please. God knows we all need it."

Edwin took a deep breath and gave him a nod, pleased that at least he was able to leave him in a better way. As he slowly walked away, Mortimer talked once more.

"Have you ever loved me? Or was I just another distraction?"

"How dare you?" Edwin responded, turning around abruptly. "Do you simply have to make this such a struggle? After everything that I shared with you."