III/III

"If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned."

John 15:6

C

Her mother held her close for what felt like interminable minutes. Clara welcomed her affection, but she could feel her pain and fear pressing against her tiny heart. She reached for the music box and opened it, so that Agatha could finally hear that wonderful melody. Yet the box remained silent.

"You are so beautiful, Clara. Look at you." She said, stroking her hair and rearranging it carefully like she used to do every morning.

"Mama, you're scaring me. But I brought the music! It works now. You can hear it."

Agatha could barely hear anything apart from her own thoughts and concerns. Rapidly she got up and began putting her things away back into the suitcase, while whispering things only she could hear.

"Mama?"

"Go and get ready, Clara. We will go away. I know where to."

"Are we going back home?"

"No, no. There is no going back. There is an abbey, up in the hills. Away from London. Away from everyone."

"But I don't want to-!"

"It's going to be lovely up there, Clara. You will see. You'll be safe." She said, moving about the room like the end times were just around the corner. "We will both be safe. Just you and me."

"Mama, I'm scared. Where is papa?"

That seemed to stop Agatha in her tracks. For a few moments she fell silent, listening or thinking. Something moved in the distance, or perhaps it was just her imagination? Clara wondered if her mother could hear it as well. Was she listening, even?

"I... will go look for him." She decided, taking a deep and long breath. "Yes. I believe that would be the thing to do. The good thing to do."

She reached for something she could not find. Her eyes darted throughout the room and bed, and sweat ran down her cheeks. At least that's what Clara hoped it was.

She noticed then, the book wrapped in black – the small Bible her mother always carried with her.

"Thank you. You found it."

Concerned but relieved, she grabbed it quickly, her expression now slightly more relaxed.

"I will go and look for your father. And then we will leave. The three of us. Now go and do something for me, Clara. Go and prepare your things, yes?"

She nodded.

"And if you see anyone else in this household, do not talk to them. Understand? Stay away from anyone else."

She nodded once again.

"Good. Very good. Now go. Quickly now, we have little time left."

Agatha left the room in a hurry, but Clara did not move. She could not. As much as she knew her mother's wish was an order to be obeyed and respected, there was something more on her mind.

Her friend had warned her of this. It would all be over, soon.

She held the music box close, listening to its melody as it started again.