1.3

The Time They Held Hands

It had been a rough day at school, and Theo wasn't psyched about how things had been getting along with the other kids.

News travels fast in small towns, and if his town was small, the school was even smaller. It had everything a school was supposed to have— what it lacked was a large enough student body to keep everyone's nose out of everyone else's drama.

The moment Theo had showed up he had been 'Bomb Boy', or some other pointless nickname.

The only one he allowed to rouse a reaction was one that had started off being a nuisance—

"Potter!"

He paused at the door of the bus and turned to see a wild-haired boy dressed all in black running after him. He waited up, and Boris reached him moments later, shoving him up the steps and down the aisle until they reached their seat.

"Sit, Potter!" He insisted, and they sat. Boris grinned, rummaged around in his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper, unfolding it. "Look!"

Theo took the paper and unfolded it the rest of the way. It was a test. In the upper right hand corner there was a big red D -.

"It's not an F," he commented, unsure of what else to say.

"Is not!" Boris agreed cheerfully. "Is highest grade I get this year. We celebrate later! Have drink, watch movie. You stay night."

"I don't know if I can tonight," Theo said, looking out the window. The city-like area where the school resided was beginning to turn into more of a barren wasteland. Boris's stop was first, if he were to choose to get off there.

"Why not?" Boris asked, raising his eyebrows. Theo hesitated, sparing him a glance, then looking back out. "You don't know."

"I just feel like I should be there sometimes," he grumbled. "They're going to start asking questions if I don't come home for an entire week."

"Think realistic, Potter," Boris said firmly. "Will they notice you are gone?"

Theo didn't answer, pressing his lips into a thin line. The bus stopped, and Boris got up. Theo hesitated, watching the boy walk down the aisle. Then he got up and started to follow, ignoring the eyes that watched him as he went. Boris had already opened the umbrella when his feet hit the ground and he walked over, sidling up beside him. Their shoulders brushed as they walked— or, Theo's shoulder brushed Boris's upper arm.

Chilled fingers brushed against Theo's, and he turned his head away, cheeks heating up along with the surrounding air. Then they snagged, and a palm pressed against his. He didn't say anything, but when Boris gave his hand a squeeze, he tightened his own as well. They walked in silence, shade overhead, and approached Boris's front steps with quiet footfalls.

"Stay, Potter." The umbrella closed, and gentle fingers touched his cheek. "Will they notice you are gone?"

"No," Theo whispered, turning and letting his head fall forward to rest against Boris's chest.

"Niet. But I would. So will you stay?" The soft voice replied. Theo took a deep breath, and straightened up, grimacing.

"I don't really have much of a choice now, do I?" He asked. "The bus is gone. Your dad won't give me a ride. They'll never come all the way here to get me. Looks like you're sharing the blankets tonight."

"In your dreams," Boris laughed, letting go of his hand to unlock the door and step inside. The umbrella was hung from a hook on the wall. Theo watched it swing momentarily, mesmerized. Then that hand brushed his once again, and he latched on.

Maybe going unnoticed by the people who didn't care wasn't so bad— especially not if being noticed by the people who do felt this sweet.