2.5

The Time When He Hid

Theo had the umbrella for its actual purpose this time. Rain pattered down against it as he walked down the streets of New York, hands shoved in his pockets.

He saw them as soon as he rounded the corner, but they never saw him.

Theo lowered Boris's umbrella over his head and stood just behind the circle of light from the street lamp, watching with wide eyes as Kitty and Tom Cable kissed on the front steps of their shared apartment.

Part of him was a little bit hurt. But it wasn't for the reason that he thought he would be. He was more offended than heartbroken. In that second he just wished he hadn't seen a thing, though it didn't make a difference that he had.

They started to separate and Theo turned, rounding the corner once more before they could spot him. His breaths came shaky and rushed as he hurried away, heart beginning to pound.

Even Kitty didn't love him enough to stay with him.

Who'd've thought?

He hurried through the rain as it began to pour harder. He had no intentions of going home now. They could do whatever they wanted. He didn't care.

A car tore by and the splash from the wheels missed him by barely an inch. He still flinched, gripping Boris's umbrella tighter and forcing himself onward.

He needed a drink.

His phone started to buzz and he took it out of his pocket to look at the caller I.D.

Kitty.

He put it away and continued to walk. He wasn't really sure where he was going— but he was going.

He didn't stop until he saw the neon lights of a bar he vaguely recognized, probably from a late night out bar hopping, intent on drinking his sorrows away.

He closed the umbrella as he entered, shaking it out and wrapping the strap around it. he glanced around, huffing softly and taking his glasses off to wipe them on a dry part of his shirt.

He put them back on and looked up, blinking slowly.

A pair of dark eyes met his.

The umbrella just slipped through his fingers.