Chapter 1

Luke's p.o.v

I was walking downstairs from my room to the kitchen. It was time for supper. My parents told me to go back upstairs and change. I needed to look presentable. That must mean that we are having company over. By presentable they really just meant no band tees. I changed out of my green day shirt into a plain blue shirt. When I came back downstairs I heard the doorbell rang. My dad went to open the door. I looked at who was coming in. It was Pastor Ward and his family. His name is John. He has a wife Nora and 2 kids. The first is Hannah. She is 16 the same age as me. Our parents are trying to set us up. I'm gay but I haven't come out to them yet. 99 percent of this town is homophobic. Anyway they also have a 12 year old named Daniel. Nora went to the kitchen to help my mom while the rest of us went to the living room.

Luke: Want to go to my room?

Hannah: Sure. Dad I am going with Luke to his room.

John: Ok honey.

I lead Hannah to my room and closed the door. I turned on my Nintendo switch and handed her a controller. Hannah was an ok person. We both know that our parents are trying to set us up. She has also made it pretty clear that she has a boyfriend and only sees me as a friend. I was relieved when she told me that. I thought I was going to have to deal with a girl who had a crush on me. Even though we are friends we don't really make an effort to see each other. We talk at school and church but only hang out when her family comes over. Once the gamed loaded we picked our characters and began playing. About 15 minutes later we were called downstairs to eat. My mom said her usual prayer and then we began to eat. After supper I helped with cleaning up. Eventually they left.

I was wiping the counters off when I heard a noise coming from the next house over. The Irwin's are a family of 5 that live next door.  The mom Anne has a son named Ashton. She then got divorced and remarried having 2 more kids. Ashton is my boyfriend. Our whole relationship is a secret though. Like I said this whole town in homophobic. Especially his step dad. I immediately recognized who was next door screaming. It was his step dad. Ashton is abused by him. I found out a few months ago. I wanted to tell the police but he doesn't want me to. I went to my room and opened the window a few minutes later I saw Ashton climbing through the window. I locked my door and helped him in. I immediately pulled him in for a hug and looked to see what his step dad did to him this time. Luckily there wasn't too much blood. I held him while he cried. I wish he could just live with me. After a while I decided he was sleeping over tonight. I went through my closet and got clothes that would fit him. Once he changed we played video games until it was time to go to bed.