Twelve

"I freaking told you that this would happen! You never listen to me."

"If I wanted an 'I told you so' Em, I wouldn't have video chatted you. I need advice."

"Why don't you just tell him how you feel?"

"This isn't some rom-com or some cliche love story Em, this is real life. Think of realistic ideas."

"That is a realistic idea. If you just tell him how you feel then fake dating him will be easier." She tried to reason.

"He has to like me first."

"From everything that you ever told me about you two, it already sounds like he does. Plus, you're great, what guy wouldn't fall over his feet to be with you?"

"You have to say that, you're my best friend." I grumbled and stuffed my face with chocolate ice cream. "Besides, I have to work on myself before I let someone else into my crazy world."

"I understand, but it doesn't hurt to let someone be beside you while you figure everything out."

"I just don't want to freak him out. If dating doesn't work out then cool, I don't want to lose him altogether and that's not a risk I'm willing to take."

"You'll never know until you ask."

****

"Connie!" I looked up to see Michael looking at me impatiently. "Are you okay? You don't seem to be with it today."

"Yeah, I just have a lot on my mind."

"I can tell, you've been spacing all morning. Anything you wanna talk about?"

"Not really."

"Seriously Con, you have to start talking about your feelings if we want this to work." He pressed. I can tell that he really wanted me to open up more but sometimes I just wanted to keep to myself.

"I know, I'm just having a bad day. Would you mind just taking me home? I want to take a nap. Maybe that'll help."

He paid the bill and we left the restaurant. I knew we weren't heading to my house because all the houses started to get nicer. Sneaky bastard.

"I think you missed my turn."

"Yeah, you're right."

"Seriously Michael-..."

"I can't hear you over this green light!"

"That doesn't even make sense!" I pouted and crossed my arms, making him laugh at me.

We arrived at his house all too quickly and it was surprisingly quiet.

"Where is everyone?"

"Well it is Monday, mom is at some gardening club, Sam is at school, Evan and my dad are at work and I'm not sure where Melanie is. Speaking of, I have to swing by the office, dad wants to talk to me, you can head up to my room to nap. I'll be home soon." He kissed my cheek and left.

I climbed the steps till I reached his room and passed out as soon as my head hit his pillow.

***

I woke up to someone running their fingers through my hair, I opened my eyes and was met with Michael's bright blue ones. He smiled, which made me smile too, he had that effect on me.

"Good evening sleepy head, sorry it took longer than I thought it would."

"What time is it?"

"Almost 6pm. Dad wanted me to sit in on a few meetings and reintroduce me to some people."

"Why do you sound so sad though? Isn't this what you wanted?"

"Yes but, then this means that we don't have to fake date for too much longer."

"Oh. I mean, we knew this wasn't going to be permanent Michael."

"I know, I just can't believe it's already coming to an end." He's right, and it's only been three months. "Mom wants to know if you want to stay for dinner." I stood up and stretched, I didn't miss his eyes when they looked at my stomach when my shirt rose up.

"No, I'm not too hungry. Plus, I have to get home anyways, I'm working in the office tomorrow."

The ride back to my house was a silent one, with only the sounds of the top 40 hits playing on the radio. He parked behind my car and turned to look at me. "Connie I-... I'll see you Thursday." It sounded like he wanted to say something else but thought better of it.

"Thursday?"

"Thanksgiving remember?"

"Oh yeah. Do I have to wear anything fancy? Do I have to bring anything? How many people will be there?"

"Breathe sweetheart. Anything you wear will be fine, no because mom wants you over early to help out remember? And not going to lie, we have a big family but I'll be there for you the whole time." He reassured.

"I'm sorry, I haven't celebrated the holidays in years. I was overseas for a few years and these past 2 years I haven't been able to do anything."

I didn't want to tell him about my past, not yet. But with his father quickly trying to get him to take over the company a lot sooner than we expected, maybe I wouldn't have to. I really wanted to tell him everything about me but I'm not ready to face the rejection.

"Well, then we'll make this year memorable."