17. "By tonight, this horrible mansion will be a pile of ash."

Marina

Present

I could tell the instant Giovanni walked through the door to Daddy's office. The air turned frigid and inert and a deathly silence fell over the room. Giovanni enters. I hear him murmur his appreciation to the guards and then the door closes behind him, sealing my fate. I feel him. I hear the sounds of his shoes clicking on the hard floor, it's a normal sound, but it's ominous. He doesn't say a word, just sits down in the chair beside my father. I don't look up from my lap. I keep my eyes averted but I can see him cross his arms over his chest.

My father gives him a decorous nod of acknowledgement and then both their eyes fall to me.

Threatening blue.

Portentous green.

It's only been a few days but I feel as if I've aged a decade. I feel wiser, more confident, less afraid. I straighten my spine and steel my shoulders before lifting my gaze and staring Giovanni right in the eyes. The corners of his lips lift slightly but his face remains impassive. He looks bored, as if he'd rather be anywhere else than here in this office.

You and me both.

No one says a word for a few moments. The only sounds in the room are the consistent ticking of the clock and the even deep breathing of my father.

"So, you've grown a spine in the time that you've been gone." Gio observes.

I don't respond. I also don't cower away. I have nothing left to lose. Instead, I sit up straighter in my chair and refuse to break eye contact.

Giovanni grins. "How precious. It seems your time away has been quite... advantageous for you."

"What? You mean my time as a captive?" It isn't a total lie. I don't tell him that it was Julien who took me or that it was the best time of my life. My experience with Julien is a happy memory that I will cherish for as long as I live. Which, could really only be a few minutes.

Still. I have no regrets.

My father scoffs and my gaze flicks to him. "You mean you're time with that rat?"

My eyes widen and my father smiles like a shark. "Oh yes, Marina. I know all about Julien Reid, or should I call him J?" You weren't kidnapped, you were once again colluding with the common filth. I thought you learned your lesson last time. It must not have been memorable enough then."

He's wrong. I will never forget that night. I'll never forget the words he said to me and I'll never forget the image of Amelia slumped over with a gun to her temple.

"You're wrong. I was kidnapped." For once, it's not a lie. I truly was kidnapped.

Giovanni scoffs. "You've always been a lying, scheming whore. You're lucky I'm still taking you in after this charade! It would be so easy to find a docile wife but fortunately for you, I love a challenge."

I feel bile burn up my throat and I have to force it down with a shiver.

"You're a disgrace to the Vascotto name." My father seethes as he rises from his desk and buttons his suit jacket. I watch it strain against his gut with disgust. My father's the disgrace. He rounds the desk and stands before me. The old Marina would cower. I sit tall and stare up at him with a newfound fire in my eyes. He lifts his arm and backhands me across the face. "Show some goddamn respect!" Pain erupts across my cheek but I don't lift my hand to grab it nor do I shy away. I keep staring into the eyes of the man who created me. The monster who I'll never call my father again.

He hits me again, obviously not enjoying my reaction, this time on the other side of my face. I bite my lip to avoid crying out and stare into his eyes with antipathy. I have no love for this man. I don't think I've ever loved him. He's not my father. He doesn't deserve to be called that.